Flower boxes?

Llilith

So, I'm thinking about the flower boxes for my Vermont farmhouse jr. The kit came with solid pieces in the shape of flower boxes. They aren't open at the top, so I can't just place flower inside. I was thinking about drilling small holes to push flower bunches into. Has anyone done this? Or do you have any other ideas?

That works. Also, you could use the ones you have as a guide for making open ones out of scrap pieces. You could also create an opening in the top of the existing boxes by using a Dremel to grind a furrow in them.

• Like 2

I cut a chunk of builders foam the shape of the flower box, glued some wood scraps on three sides to fit, and voila I had a flower box with the ability to poke and hold the bits and pieces.

You can put wood scraps on all the sides if it will show or you need it more secure but often the underside is never visible. If it is painted the same color, the builders foam looks smooth like the wood. The back of the foam will glue right onto the building quite nicely.

After I poke the hole, I drip a bit of glue in it or on the stem before assembling to keep the floral bits secure - optional though if you want to change them out.

You can also use box hangers attached to the building and just change out the boxes seasonally.

I drilled holes (I love using my little drill) for my flowers and glued them in. First I painted the top brown, then once flowers were in, I took a mixture of dried coffee grinds and glue and put some on top. I cut out sections of pre-made tiles and glued them to the front of the boxes because I thought they looked too plain. I had tried to paint something there myself, but it looked awful, so the tiles covered up bad art.

• 4 years later...

WOW, I am amazed by the creativity here!! Also, so glad you asked this question, Lilith, because I have been trying to figure out what to do with the “boxes.” So many great ideas from this community. I’m impressed. Just when I thought I was done with the exterior of this house ... haha!