"DIY Travel Time" Travel Trailer Kit from China

Cathy C

I remember one of our members posting about one of these kits from China. She built a different kit, but posted photos of her progress. The materials were very nice and she got great results. I'm sorry that I can't remember who it was. Maybe someone else will find the link. (My search failed.)

I've looked at this kit too. It's really cute, and I think that even if your didn't use all of the interior materials, it would be fun to build.

i asked the China kit seller some questions about their product and heard back from them today. I found out everything in their kit is pre-painted so I wouldn't be interested anyway.

I looked at Robin Betterley's trailers and if I ever decide to try 1/4 scale, I would get one. Thank you for the info and link, Sarah.

• 8 months later...

@Cathy :) I know this is older but just wanted to give some input here since I built this kit. 

Yes, everything is pre painted but I decided to redecorate with a new color theme. It really is an adorable kit. I have it displayed on my wall unit in my Greatroom. Everyone loves it.

I tried to attach photos but it's whacking out on me. I have an album for it

On 7/3/2015, 10:34:28, havanaholly said:

Our Chinese friends do borrow freely and heavily.

And at great expense to the owners of small businesses and artisans in the USA.   

• Like 2

@havanaholly I was trying to attach from my albums but wouldn't let me.

@Deb my sons bought me the kit for Christmas. They bought me several kits from overseas. I know all too well how the Chinese steal product ideas. I had a yoga wear company and some of my designs were replicated. 

1 hour ago, MLI Designs said:

@Cathy :) I know this is older but just wanted to give some input here since I built this kit. 

Yes, everything is pre painted but I decided to redecorate with a new color theme. It really is an adorable kit. I have it displayed on my wall unit in my Greatroom. Everyone loves it.

Hi Michele,

The timing of your response is incredible, I just ordered this kit!  Although I have the Greenleaf Trailer kit and will build it sometime, I just really like the smaller size and shape of this kit.   So I broke down and ordered it a few days ago.

I've been looking at photos of real life vintage trailers and want to make something similar.  I've been looking at Hobby Lobby and the hardware store to find something to make rivets to go along the edges of both sides.  Then I am going to use gloss spray paint to paint the exterior cream & turquoise or white & red.  I'll paint the exterior window frames to resemble aluminum.  

The kit kit has not arrived yet, so I'll know better how to proceed once I see it in person.

Thank you for your response.  I'll check out your photos and see what color theme you chose.

2 hours ago, MLI Designs said:

Hi Michele,

i just looked at your photos.  You did an amazing job, I love it!  

And, you added rivets to the edges, very cool!  The rivets look so evenly spaced, I bet that was quite a chore.  But it is worth it for the finished effect you have accomplished.  

@Cathy :) thank you. I love my Tiny Trailer.

i actually used tiny crystals for the rivets. Once it was painted it looked great. I'm almost tempted to buy another since o had so much fun with it. Took me about two weeks to fully complete. Have fun with it and share lots of pics

You're welcome, Michele.

Crystals?!  They look great!  I was looking at flat back plastic "pearls" at Hobby Lobby, but unsure what to use until I see the kit in person.

i am certain it will take me more than two weeks to complete!  But it will definitely be fun, and I'll make sure to take photos as I progress.

Thank you so much for sharing your adorable tiny trailer.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The trailer kit I received from China today is low quality: has glue residue all over the paint, deformed wheels and it smells weird.  And even though it was advertised as "wooden", the trailer shell is particle board.  

I will not be building it.  

2 hours ago, MLI Designs said:

@Cathy :) oh that is such a shame. I guess I was lucky with mine. So sorry that happened. I was looking forward to see what you would do with it

Thank you, Michele. It is a shame. I was excited to work on it.  But I am glad you were able to make such a neat tiny trailer. I love it!

Robin Betterley's camper was mentioned farther up in the thread... the one she sells on her website is quarter scale but there were also plans for a half scale version in Miniature Collector several years ago. The issues are June and July 2010. Here's a blog by someone who built it.

I have found Pinterest to have a lot of information on trailers - both mini and RL. I think I have even seen ideas about scratch building one, if that is something you want to consider. I think the shape of the smaller one would be easier to scratch build than the GL one due to the front curve (I am a very low novice in scratch building).

As for the rivets on the trailer roof, I found discs that are in the bead section at AC Moore. I have cut a common pin and put it through the hole & into the roof, with a little glue. So far, so good. 

The trailer is a super fun project! I've been having a ball with mine.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2015, 4:16:37, Cathy :) said:

I looked at Robin Betterley's trailers and if I ever decide to try 1/4 scale, I would get one. Thank you for the info and link, Sarah.

The Betterley's trailer kits were retired a few months ago.  I have the Lydia Pickett Green Trailer kit with all the parts (exterior, interior and landscaping) but I don't know if I will ever get to it.  I am building (occasionally) the Pickett Hill and 1/4 scale is turning out to be a not so favorite scale to work with.  It is an adorable kit though.

I got some of those kits from Japan/China. Some of the parts are painted but I changed the color by painting 

with gesso first. Some of the pieces need sanding but for the price, they are worth it for me. This is one of them.

Still have to decorate.

Gail :bear:

Japanese kits 001.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So, I know I am late to the party, but I wanted to post my experience with this particular DIY Travel Time kit from ebay (via China). I am very thankful for this thread as I was able to read about 2 very different experiences (1 good, 1 not so good), so I bided my time until the trailer got to a price point (and free shipping) where I felt it was ok to risk whatever the results would be

I haven't put it together yet, but I have looked over the shell and the many many pieces (beads, fabric, lace, decals, furniture kit parts).

Anyway - I got a GREAT kit! A sanded painted shell with painted trim (I like the colors, so I am fine with that - and it is painted better than I ever could have done myself), and the individual things like the bench parts, clothing basket, etc - all painted already which I considered a happy timesaver. There is, however, a lot of assembling/cutting/template-using/gluing of tiny cushions, curtains,bedspreads, bead-lamps, rugs. There are even instructions for making individual flowers from paper. And plenty of the items are done with decals (the guitar). BUT, everything is there - every scrap of lace trim and fabric, paper flower petal...no need to go to a craft store (which is good as mine are farther away than I like) and no need to paint...I just need a lot of time. A lot of time. So that is my review - I will say that I looked carefully for an ebay seller with a 99.x or higher rating, and good feedback, and a kit that was under $50 with free shipping (a lot are priced over $50 - and shipping is additional, which makes it feel less like a deal and less like taking a risk on a possible shabby kit). But I like it. If it goes together ok, I would definitely consider the french bakery/cafe double decker kit thingy.

1 hour ago, Elsbeth said:

So, I know I am late to the party, but I wanted to post my experience with this particular DIY Travel Time kit from ebay (via China). I am very thankful for this thread as I was able to read about 2 very different experiences (1 good, 1 not so good), so I bided my time until the trailer got to a price point (and free shipping) where I felt it was ok to risk whatever the results would be

I haven't put it together yet, but I have looked over the shell and the many many pieces (beads, fabric, lace, decals, furniture kit parts).

Anyway - I got a GREAT kit! A sanded painted shell with painted trim (I like the colors, so I am fine with that - and it is painted better than I ever could have done myself), and the individual things like the bench parts, clothing basket, etc - all painted already which I considered a happy timesaver. There is, however, a lot of assembling/cutting/template-using/gluing of tiny cushions, curtains,bedspreads, bead-lamps, rugs. There are even instructions for making individual flowers from paper. And plenty of the items are done with decals (the guitar). BUT, everything is there - every scrap of lace trim and fabric, paper flower petal...no need to go to a craft store (which is good as mine are farther away than I like) and no need to paint...I just need a lot of time. A lot of time. So that is my review - I will say that I looked carefully for an ebay seller with a 99.x or higher rating, and good feedback, and a kit that was under $50 with free shipping (a lot are priced over $50 - and shipping is additional, which makes it feel less like a deal and less like taking a risk on a possible shabby kit). But I like it. If it goes together ok, I would definitely consider the french bakery/cafe double decker kit thingy.

Very helpful review. Thanks

• 4 years later...

I am at the end of finishing my kit but I did my own painting,starting with the out side and gluing nail gems to the outside and spray painting it chrome silver.

And I didn't use 90% of the fabric,I used my own.

I even made tiny oven mitts. 

I didn't like thier flip flops so I made my own out of polymer clay as well as a few other things from the clay like dog food and a Kong for the dog.

• Like 1