Thinking of building a Westville

prariegurl

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Westville and want to build one so bad....

BUT, I don't know if there is enough room for all of my plans and schemes. Two of my must have rooms for a 50s house is a little boys cowboy room. Since it would make no sense to me to have a child's room and no parents, I must have a two bedroom house.

BUT, if I make both second floor rooms bedrooms, there where do I put the bathroom? I have a knitting pattern for a poodle toilet roll cover, and a good printie that I can use to make a garish shower curtian, so I need a bathroom.

Is one of the bedrooms large enough that it can be divided into a small bath and child's room? please let know know whether or not you think that would work!

Jeri

Hi Jeri ... the Westville is high on my list of soon-to-be-builts. I smile at the box and pat it gently now and then so it knows it hasn't been forgotten!

I'm planning to have the living room and combo kitchen/dining area on the first floor.

Second floor will be bedroom/hallway/bathroom. I'm planning to add a wall to the right of the stairway for bathroom privacy.

The attic will be a workshop and attic storage. I've been thinking about putting a spiral stairway to the attic in the new 2nd floor hallway, but I probably won't. If my mini people insist on stairs, I suggest they look elsewhere for housing.

I think the attic could be a cute boy's room.

I wanted to use the attic as attic storage also. For access, I had planned on attic stairs--the kind that slide up into the attic when not in use. I just love those things! The attic could make a cute boys room, but then I would have to give up my beloved attic stairs. I am just not in a compromising mood right now.

Jeri

what a brillant idea! i would LOVE to see your house all dected out like that! i havent seen the inside of a westville in awhile but i believe ther is hallway. what if you made that the bathroom? i know u wouldnt have a hallway anymore but maybe put the stairs else wear? just a thought.

good luck,

Jenny

I'm planning to add a wall to the right of the stairway for bathroom privacy.
That's what I did.

i believe ther is hallway

Not until I put in a piece of foamboard to make a privacy wall, like Kathie B.

Actually because of the way the attic is shaped you could put two little bedrooms up there.

This house is so pretty.

Someday i'll build mine. I love the colors that Tracy used on hers! I'm not quite sure what i will do with mine yet.

I think it;s such a pretty house, you should go for it!

Hi,I built the Westville and added on a small leanto type addition for the bathroom so I could have 2 bedrooms upstairs.The room seemed too big to be a bathroom anyhow and I wanted a children's room.I cut a door opening in the living room for the bath.I have a pull down stairs in the parents room to the attic.The attic is more of a crawl space-you couldn't really have a room up there unless you extended the walls up a little higher.It's really a nice house to build and I love mine-a house I will always keep.It's an old farmhouse in the early 1960's,a little rundown,based on my parents' house and most of the houses I visited back then.

Hi,I built the Westville and added on a small leanto type addition for the bathroom so I could have 2 bedrooms upstairs.The room seemed too big to be a bathroom anyhow and I wanted a children's room.I cut a door opening in the living room for the bath.I have a pull down stairs in the parents room to the attic.The attic is more of a crawl space-you couldn't really have a room up there unless you extended the walls up a little higher.It's really a nice house to build and I love mine-a house I will always keep.It's an old farmhouse in the early 1960's,a little rundown,based on my parents' house and most of the houses I visited back then.

Hmmm ... thinking about the Primrose I won in one of the Fast Lane contests and wondering if it could be added to the Westville. Another room downstairs would really make a difference!

Hadn't thought about the pull-down stairs, but they really have appeal. Would be more in keeping with the style of the house than a spiral.

dye fleece interfacing pink to simulate fiberglass insulation

You could also use pink felt strips & not worry about trying to dye a synthetic.

You could also fake a small bathroom at the top of the stairs, like a walk-through between the bedrooms.

You could also use pink felt strips & not worry about trying to dye a synthetic.

You could also fake a small bathroom at the top of the stairs, like a walk-through between the bedrooms.

I LIKE that idea! A little light in there, a glimpse of tub ... sort of like my Orchid's fake bathroom.

dye it with dye or kool aid

I'd pass on the kool ade unless you live in an absolutely bug-free part of the planet. I wouldn't think you'd insulate enough dh attics to warrant a whole packet of dye, either, but that's jmho.

Isn't the cotton going to get matted if you dip it in dye? I think I'd consider synthetic batting or pillow stuffing. What about mixing a bit of craft paint with water and spritzing it on with a spray bottle so as not to soak it through?