Can 12V fixtures be changed to LED?

stickyfingers

Just wondering if anyone has done this, or if there are even parts to do it? I love the idea of no wiring, less heat, etc. with the LED's, but so far we're limited to what's out there, which isn't much. I've seen some very cool vintage lights, or DIY lights, but I hesitate to buy them, because I'm not planning to hardwire the house. I know I could always just cut off the wiring and not electrify them, but where's the fun in that?   

Changing from wired regular bulbs to wired LED is possible.  The difficult part would be in getting the original bulb and wire out of the fixture without destroying the whole thing.

As for changing from wired to battery LED, that I don't know.  I think you'd still run into the issue of getting the original wire/bulb out.

Making your own isn't that difficult and you can choose what size battery pack you want to use. Evans designs sells tons of the wiring and LED light components. Plus they have great tutorials and are a reputable place. Jewelry departments have interesting selections of beads and metal and wire fittings that can be appropriated for lamp bases and tops. Paper shades aren't too difficult either. There are some free patterns online if you need more ideas. Here's one from CDHM. There are plenty of others.

I realize that this info doesn't answer your original question but it's a different road to a similar end.

• Like 1

Thanks!

My frustration is that with the cheap, easy technology of LEDs, we're still mostly left with the same exact designs in miniature lighting that have been on the market for the past 40 years. If anything, they're worse. Older fixtures were at least made of actual brass and glass, rather than gold-colored plastic  Why aren't there 100 different styles of mini LED fixtures? And why can't they cost less than $30 a piece? And wouldn't it be really cool to restore Grandma's dollhouse, keeping the original fixtures, but switching them all over to LED?

Battery powered LED miniature lighting ought to be the new standard, and there ought to be a lot of affordable, attractive choices. Why isn't there more utility lighting? Why isn't there more modern lighting? Why aren't there more than 4-5 styles of table lamps? How can those people at Reuters make a perfectly lovely fake Tiffany lamp and not slap an LED in it? Really?! 

One of the most shocking things about getting into minis since my hiatus when I was about 8 years old, is that some of the same exact lights and accessories are available today, and they still look as cheap and tacky as they did back in '76.

• Like 1

I agree!!!! Lighting and also bathrooms! I abhor the same Victorian designs available back from the 70's. They are still hanging on. :( The very few modern or contemporary pieces are either mega bucks or off scale.

Oh and don't forget the red mahogany furniture. Ackk!

Off my soapbox now, slinking away.

• Like 1

I have bought some really, really lovely pieces of furniture that were very well done. They weren't cheap, but they weren't outrageously expensive, either. I know that it can be done. Someone somewhere can make affordable miniatures that are of acceptable quality.  

I don't mind making some of my own things, but I don't want to have to make EVERYTHING. Sometimes I just want to slap down the cash and be done with it. I have an older mini book that shows how to blow your own glass and make your own metal castings...really.  

The bathrooms....oy! That's a whole 'nother rant.

I don't blow glass or cast metal; that's what beads and jewelry findings are for; and as KathieB has pointed out, it's all smoke & mirrors.  I don't necessarily want real, I want it to look real.

Yes!!! Agree to every comment here. I just don't understand why there isn't more being made. I don't understand why those who can make the amazing silver pieces can't make cheap versions on a major scale to reduce the cost for the average person. It makes no sense to me.

Having said that, I am trying to make my own line of 1:24 scale houses, furniture and accessories and am investigating methods like injection moulding. I just can't see why it's not already being done. We have so much technology available, it should be straight-forward.