Rosedale: hinge the front & close the back?

permutations

I'm making progress on the expansion. I glued in several more expansion panels today. The thinness of the wood makes it prone to bend and warp, so I'm weighting it down with books. The books also support the expanded floors/ceilings on the upper stories while the glue dries. I cut the holes for the two windows in the expansion panel on the front. Anything with white tape is permanently glued. The tape (acid-free artist's tape) reinforces the joins.

I'll add the roof back in when the main part of the house is done (structurally).

• Like 1

I had the second story divider in the wrong place in the picture above. I've since fixed that.

The 1st story ceiling / 2nd story floor needs additional support or it sags. I can't do this with a divider because making the space into 2 mid-size rooms puts the divider between the double windows - no good. I need to run a very rigid material, like a metal bar, across the 1st story ceiling, and drill slots on either side to secure it. I don't know where I'm going to find a metal bar that fits my specifications. The only other way I can think of doing it is to put a pole in the middle of the floor, but that's inelegant.

The other structural puzzle is how the two front panels will attach and open. Since the dollhouse wasn't meant to be opened this way, the fit is very tight. It's easier to remove the panels completely than to swing them out on hinges. Maybe that's okay - still thinking about it and tweaking things.

Pole, columns - same idea. I'd like to avoid obstructions in the space if I can.

I'm currently looking into L-brackets. I have what I think may be the smallest ones made. I wish they were thinner, but they might not be rigid enough if they were thinner. If I use L-brackets to attach the 2nd story divider to the ceiling and the floor, it will hold up the floor so it can't sag.

Problem: 1/8" thick wood is not thick enough to screw brackets (or screws) into - unless they are very short screws. I'd have to glue (or also glue). I hope that would be strong enough. Also, I'd need to figure out how to deal with the bump. The L-brackets are about 1/16" thick.