Take out containers

Roxxie2

Does anyone know where you can buy those take out containers made out of the cardboard with the texture like the paper egg cartons we use to get?   I would like to order a bunch to make "brick and stone".   I do not get take out foods or coffee and eggs come in Styrofoam in all the stores here.  Thanks

What do you call that kind of cardboard?   I Googled take out containers and I got the smooth Chinese take out ones or the foam doggy bag ones.

No idea what it is called as I have only used the egg cartons, over here they are only avaliable in the paper mache boxes, but what about this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-PCS-EGG-CARTONS-PAPER-TRAYS-FLATS-30-CT-EGGS-CRAFTS/221816901129?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32299%26meid%3Da9428601d7874b94acb9e467c82f9778%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D221824706938

Hugs and good luck finding what you want

• Like 1

Roxy, you can make your own by soaking newspaper in water. Mix it until it becomes a pulp. Them spread it out thinly over a screen or cloth and dry completely.

Cheryl, have you made this?    Did you roll it out with a rolling pin?  How thick?   I want to try and "brick" my castle.  Its half scale.  I wonder how many stones or bricks I can make?  So many questions!  

I use to cut up egg cartons but I can't buy a paper carton of eggs anywhere! 

Roxy, I have made a LOT of homemade papier mache, we often used it in school projects when I was a teacher, very handy ;) we didn't use news paper though as that is really messy and"dirty" with all the colours and ink, we used the cheapest one ply toilet paper wecould ge tour hands on.

We started ripping the TP in smaller bits and putting in a huge bowl, add water and letsoak over night, if it is a really wet mixture we would rinse it in a fine meshed strainer so that is got to a nice and squishy conistncey, ad a small amount of wall paper flakes in the mixture and then we used the elwctric beeter and dough hooks (only used for this purpose after the first run) and mix until it is a smooooth mixture.

When making our own pieces of papers we had the paper mix runny/wet though.

We did use cheap photo frames where we had stapeled a fine mesh, let it rinse from most water, and then turn over ontop of a water proof surface, dab at it with a dish towel after a little while to press away more of the water, repeat after a little while, now one could easily pin roll it a little to get itto desired thickness.

Hugs

• Like 1

This is my favorite recipe/method for mini stones or bricks. You can cut it irregularly in rock styles or in straight lines as bricks or cut stone.

Mini Mod Pod has this on her blog.

http://minimodpod.blogspot.com/2011/09/making-stone-out-of-newspaper.html?m=1

• Like 1

Thanks Anna and Selkie!   Seems messy to me but I think I will give it a try.  How about cheap paper towels from the Dollar Store???    I don't have a blender and I wouldn't use my expensive Kitchen Aide stand mixer with this stuff.  Maybe I can mix by hand. How about an old fashioned potato masher???  I will try it with a small batch and see how it works out. I like the texture of yours Selki and I assume that Anna's would have texture also. 

Anna,  I taught primary school also but never had time for anything like that.  I can experiment with some kind of "mush" and see what I get :D  
Hugs

Just want to be clear that the recipe is Mini Mod Pods - not mine. Her method and recipe has just become my fav way found so far.

We used it a lot both in science class when making models of the solar system etc but also when doing puppet heads in art and Swedish when writing plays etc...

I would stick to either newspaper or TP as those do not have glue in them, not sure if the paper towels have glue, most often (over here) kitchen towels have some sort of glue in the pulp which is why it keeps together compared to TP wheras neither TP or newspapers seem to have those.

Hugs

• Like 1

A bit fancier than paper mache as it also has some kind of bomding agent and something else I have forgetten.

TP paper mache makes for an even colour and could also be base coloured if one adds paint into the mix, but if doing so I strongly recommend latex gloves when handling it...

Hugs

• Like 1

It's a type of - yes.

There is also a powdered cellulose product that can be mixed in small batches - a certain amount with water. It comes in plastic lined boxes or cans.

• Like 1

There is also a powdered cellulose product that can be mixed in small batches - a certain amount with water. It comes in plastic lined boxes or cans.           

Selkie.............hmmmmmmmmm    I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and as usual I was so over whelmed with all the stuff in that store I never thought to look.   I will get back in another month or so.   :)

I priced the commercial paper clay.......yikes that stuff is expensive for such a small package!!!!  :ohmy:

What about this stuff?  I wonder how much is covers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001144SDE/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p201_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=00JTH9X4EEMXVBXQMBH5&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Cheryl, have you made this? Did you roll it out with a rolling pin? How thick? I want to try and "brick" my castle. Its half scale. I wonder how many stones or bricks I can make? So many questions!

I use to cut up egg cartons but I can't buy a paper carton of eggs anywhere!

Roxy, for the White Rose I used a heavy textured art paper that I cut up for "stones" for the foundation. At half scale it doesn't need to be really think, just textured. :)

Your link is one brand of the cellulose powder. I don't prefer the powdered type myself but it does work. I have used it with my clients. It's very hard to sand, imo.

Yep all this will work fine. One thing to keep in mind though, when you use a rolling pin to roll it out it could be too smooth. You want to keep a nice texture on one side. Try evening out the layer with your fingers and patting it with towels so you don't roll out that nice texture.  Keep in mind also not to get too thick that you can't cut it. It is fun and has many uses.

Maybe you can find a cheap mixer or blender at a garage sale or thrift store.

There is apparently a difference between straight papermache and paper clay.  You could get yourself a dedicated processor at a thrift store to whiz your wet paper into a smooth pulp.  Once you have drained off most of the water, that's when you could work in the white glue.

Roxxie, in regards to the KitchenAid: I have one as well and never thought to use it for crafting projects. Until I found a replacement bowl and hooks for cheap on ebay. Now I have the "crafting" set and the "cooking" set. Before i had that, used an old Mixer I got at the thrift store for a few bucks  - while that took a bit longer because I had to use smaller portions to mash up, that worked as well. Another possible idea is to use one of those puree sticks (can't recall what they are  called) and 'puree' the paper while it soaks. It makes for more uneven bits and pieces - but that looks good. I use an old plastic picture frame with screen netting to dry the paper. You can get one of those for 1-3 Dollars and use a dish tub. I make the mash and then sift the mix out with that screen. If you get two or three frames - it goes faster.

• Like 1

I will look in the second hand shop for a mixer or the parts......great idea Chris!!!

Has anyone used the foam egg cartons to make bricks or stone?   I have plenty of those available.  I realize that they wouldn't have the same kind of texture but I am going to "brick" the little half scale Michael's castle and I am wondering if its worth it.