Opinions please

KatFord

Which of these two finishes seems the most realistic? They are both done with eggshells, paint, and chalk pastels, glimmer mist and distress inks. The first is finished with crackle on top. The 2nd is the same but instead of crackle I used a mat varnish. I can't decide which I like the most. And it may be difficult to tell from the photos, I wasn't sure how to enlarge them, but thanks for trying!

Kim

Edited by KatFord

Did you really use egg shells, or do you mean egg carton? I'm just curious.

I think the crackle finish looks good.

Is this a foundation, or will it be a larger area?

Edit: I see from the gallery it's a foundation. I like the crackle, it makes it look weathered and old.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Havanaholly, that's my problem! I like the look of both!

If you could run a print of the two samples, cut them out and hold each one up to the foundation of the house to see which one the house likes.

• Like 1

Both finishes are already on the house. I put the crackle finish on one of the small sides. There will be piles of snow on the foundation so I figured if I didn't like one or the other I would cover it up.

Thanks for that link! Joanne does some of the neatest videos! She did one where she laid out all of the sheets of plywood before punching out anything, and just rolled primer over all of it in one sitting. I thought that was brilliant, and plan to do that on my next build, rather than fiddling with a million tiny pieces and a paintbrush, doing them one by one. I'm going to sand that way, too.

I never would have thought to use egg shells, but it looks very realistic. Adding the crackle medium is also a great idea, looks like crumbling old stone. Great job!

• Like 1

I primed once before punching out one of the Buttercups I built early on.  The primer caused the wood to swell and when it was dry I had to ue many, many utility knife blades and *MAGIC* words to get those pieces out, then sand off everywhere I need to glue pieces together.

Yes, I also had a hard time getting primed pieces out. I had only primed just the pieces themselves though. Painting the whole sheet seems wasteful of paint. But guess the roller would be easier. I agree with Selkie. Try one piece yourself first.

The eggshells look really great. I wouldn't have thought about that. My first reaction yesterday was i liked #1 best. But the more I look at it, #2 is growing on me.

• Like 1