Sunflower seeds

rodentraiser

Someone planted some sunflower seeds in our little tiny flower bed and when I asked what they were going to do with the heads after they dried, the woman in charge of watering gave me two of them. The seeds weren't ripe yet on one, but I got a little handful of seeds from the other. I tried brining them in salt and that didn't work (next time I'm boiling them in salted water), and then I roasted them for about 90 minutes at 250°. They taste good - s little different from what I'm used to, but definitely good.

Has anyone else here ever harvested and roasted their sunflower seeds? And if so, what recipe do you use?

• Like 1

The birds always beat us to the best sunflower seeds. sigh ...

But, I have washed and roasted in a touch of oil and salt with pumpkin seeds. They are yummy. Just roast until slightly golden. Mid heat range um, say 350-ish. We love them.

Perhaps sunflower seeds would be done similarly?

The birdies never asked to use my oven or any of my pots and as far as I know, never used salt or oil either. tee hee

• Like 3

I avoid eating anything from our soil. With all the chemicals from the golf course, our own lawn service, and the nearby hospital's incinerator our soil is a toxic disaster.  

How sad for you. I can't imagine not being able to step out my back door and gather food for dinner. Something for me to remember to be thankful for when I gripe about being so far out in the boondocks - away from shopping opportunities.