Greetings fellow Builders!

AWinnV

Hi all,

I received my Garfield kit in the mail yesterday and immediately had a panic attack when it sunk in just how big it will be once built! I almost shipped it back to exchange for a smaller model but alas I just love the look of the Garfield sooo much I decided to Go BIG or GO HOME! :cucumber:I haven't even removed a single board from the box but am already facing Challenge #1: how the heck do I build this bad girl in sections so that I can fit it through doors when we move? I have already received amazing help from one member but now onto the challenge of actually doing it. If anyone else around here has built their house in sections any feedback/tips/trips/suggestions/do's/don'ts/etc would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to fill my house with references from Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Kid's books/Pop Culture etc but still have the house be beautiful and well appointed - not a run down looking "haunted" house. Although, I do love that look and was going in the direction at first. I was first inspired by Jenny Lawson over at The Bloggess. If you haven't seen photos of her doll house go have a look -- totally awesome. Anyway, I want my house to look like some eccentric billionaire lives there and he collects artifacts right out of fantasy and sci-fi. :death:My husband is an artist (hobby not pro) and makes these completely incredible dioramas so he will be collaborating with me on my house!

I am also a knitter, crocheter, sewist, & fledgling encaustic artist. When I'm not doing one of those things I am usually doing my all time hugest passion: Kung Fu. All that aside, first and foremost, I am a wife and a full-time stay-at-home mom to my two little sons. Soooo the Garfield is going to be a slow going affair but I figure I have the rest of my life, so why rush?

Can't wait to get more into the forums and galleries to see all the amazing things everyone is doing.

Best,

April

Edited by AWinnV

Now here is an official welcome April.

Good luck with your separating bash. There are many ways to tackle it, not just the few we discussed.

As to the time it takes, hahahaha, mine was started in the 1980's as therapy for someone with cancer. Then it was set aside for a long time. 

Around the turn of the century it made a brief appearance and then laid low until around 2006ish. It's been patiently undercover again for approx 4ish years now.

Other builds occurred and are still occurring in each of these intervals but the poor grand dame has sat lonely but graciously waiting.

Maybe one day it will be completed - although I'm not sure any build is ever completely "done"!!

Welcome to the little family, April.  If you have the rom there is no law that says you can't build other houses whilst you work on the big one.  As for starting out building the Garfield, if that is the house that you love, that is the house you ought to build.  There are a lot of "getting started" tips in the archives.

Hello and welcome. Dollhouses can be labor intensive, but very rewarding. There is nothing like the feeling you get when both of you are satisfied with how it's turning out. Remember, it's not a race! And, be sure to choose somewhere to work where the kids won't decide to be "helpful".

If your doors are narrower than 29.5 inches just tilt it a little and it should fit through any door. You shouldn't have to build it it partitions.  However, narrow winding enclosed staircases are another issue.

Welcome to the forum, April! I've never built a Garfield r for that matter any L-shaped house so I'm no help here. Maybe one of the others has an idea that will work for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi April, I fell in love with this house too and I bought it about two years ago. I also freaked when I read about the size (and measured every door around the house!) ... so it's taken me this long to figure out where to put it. I am now just ready to start. It won't take long on the build before it is huge. It is lovely though, isn't it? I am going to do the traditional style with mine versus what it sounds like you'll do with yours. I love your idea though. Sounds very Addams Family. :) 

I have two daughters and both are excited. The youngest specifically. I had thought about doing a smaller house but I plan on doing this once and that's it (the cost of interior stuff alone makes it a one time shot for me) so I went with what I wanted - big and victorian. I have only taken out the instruction sheet and once the first part for the platform. I had this idea this week to put the whole dollhouse on a lazy susan bearing so it can be turned (the front and the back are both beautiful).

Let's keep in touch as we both build. :) Take care!!

Katrina

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't necessary to BUY everything you want to put into your dollhouses.  When I retired I found out that I could take the time to make what I wanted.  Both Patricia King and Andrea Barham have books that show how to make really spectacular mini furniture and accessoris from "found" items.  If you can latch onto any of the old Chilton books by Helen Ruthberg you will find even more goodies, and there are several excellent books of furniture patterns out there, too.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

You do not ever want to post your personal email address, or any other personal contact information, in public on the internet.  Webbots, spammers and all sorts of unwanted stuff can use your info.  Secondly, if you seriously give up, there is a trading post forum to list your Garfield.

Thanks! I bought a much smaller already built house from a local shop. What I realized is that I am really more interested in what to put in the house rather than building the house. I am looking forward to making a lot of what I will put in it, though. Thanks for the help on how to navigate the forum. For whatever reason I tend to be bit challenged with forums and rarely use them.

4 minutes ago, AWinnV said:

Thanks! I bought a much smaller already built house from a local shop. What I realized is that I am really more interested in what to put in the house rather than building the house. I am looking forward to making a lot of what I will put in it, though. Thanks for the help on how to navigate the forum. For whatever reason I tend to be bit challenged with forums and rarely use them.

I make everything I put into my houses.  There is a pinned topic at the top of the General Mini Talk Forum where I have posted several of the books I have & have used to make things, as have other members.  I have acquired a few more books since then.  I also have saved several ring binders full of DIY articles from various miniature magazines.

• Like 1