San Francisco 550

crysmiss86

I am in the process of builing my first house and have came upon a piece that doesn't fit. Please see the attached pictures. Piece 5-102, the long piece on the left hand side is too short. No matter how I turn it, it doesn't match the length of 10-88 

I don't think it is super important to the structure so I would be OK just leaving it off. I wouldn't have any idea on how to cut my own piece.

I'm just wondering what others have done in these types of situations. 

Thanks for any guidance! 

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

I built my first two Dura-raft kits when the company was still in business and I did use their "free replacement" policy for parts I had mis-cut.  I have one more of their kits to build, so now I will have to make replacements if I have  problem.

Hi Crystal,

First, I don't even own an electric power tool, but if this were me I would attempt to make the piece. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby they have balsa wood, basswood, and plywood for hobbyists. The cabinet where they keep the wood is usually in the back corner of the stores nearest their art supplies.  I would get a long piece of basswood and cut out the new piece with a correct fit using a utility knife. You could make your template on cardstock or cardboard first to see if you had the right shape before cutting your wood.

There is a hobby lobby near me that I could visit tomorrow. I will have to check to see if they have that kind of wood, I have never seen it before, but I could have very easily looked past it. 

I will attempt to make a replacement piece, but if I can't then I might just leave it out. 

Thanks for the responses! 

There is an online store (and they have an Ebay store) called Manchester Dollhouse Wood Works. They have replacement Duracraft wood pieces. They could probably help you out. I even think if you gave them the part number, they would know what is was. They are good and have cheap, quick postage. Have fun building!

Well, as it turns out, the piece fit just fine. If I would have bothered to read a couple more of instructions down, I would have found that I had to lay the straight pieces on top of the larger piece. Doing that made them fit just right! 

speaking of crying.......my son called last night and ask me how I was and I said "Oh I could just cry!"

I lost another already shingled roof template piece. all shingled, painted ready to put on the roof. I looked for a long time, then decided just to make a new one.....its a small piece but still.........so I got it all made and shingled and was ready to paint it and looked over under my heavy duty tape dispenser  and saw several gray shingles sticking out from underneath. Sure enough that is where it is When I weighted these down to prevent curling, I had put one under the tape dispenser!! oh my......the dispenser is large and pretty much totally covered this piece. not that I could use a better memory.......