What to look for in a real life Victorian

LilyPond

I am about to transfer from one province to another.  I've long wanted to purchase a neglected home and restore it so it's all my own.  I've been searching Victorian houses for sale on the internet but, while exciting, it's also over-whelming.  I'm wondering if any of my mini friends have any experience with full sized Victorian home restoration/renovation and can advise what to look for and what to avoid.

thanks

Edited by LilyPond

As long as the foundation is in great condition, you'd want to check for water damage, asbestos siding and flooring. Lead paint will most likely have to be dealt with.  Even if you find a house that old in prestine condition, I'd still hire an engineer and inspector.  Expect to replace any outdated electrical and probably all the plumbing.  I was all set to renovate a small Victorian on the eastern shore of Maryland. My contract was contingent on getting an updated water/sewer permit.  So a lot of homework had been done prior to lifting the house and rebuilding the foundation. Unfortunately, the water permit was never approved so the deal fell through.

During our latest house hunt as we had narrowed it down to Baldwin County, AL, we both fell in love with a 1960-ish house we had to let go because of the asbestos concerns.  You definitely want to have a thorough inspection done by licensed professionals.

My dream house is an old multi turetted Victorian or Tudor set way up high in the woods.

I was going to say to be sure and find a rich Uncle. These older house projects can easily become bigtime Money Pits. 

My old farmhouse constantly needs something. She's a very demanding old biddie, born in 1850. 

• Like 1

Well, our house is 9 years old and we've had maintenance issues out the wazoo for years. Any house needs maintenance and costs money. I say just do it!

There is Victorian Homes magazine which has lots of hints and tips on old house renovations. Could be worth a look.

Our previous home was build in 1910 and been kept in very good condition by it's 3 previous families (yes seriously only 3).  Now, having done repairs on our new house I can tell you it's an entirely different situation. Yes, all homes need maintenance and things will break, however, simple repairs are easily do it yourself jobs in a newer home and less costly. The reason? Size standards have changed.

Something as simple as a doorknob switch will be a big deal in an older home because the hole size has changed. Figuring out how to make the door hole circle perfect and larger and re-setting a new knob is not a one trip to the hardware store and one hour job. 

We needed a new front storm door on the 1910 house. Guess what? The door wasn't current standard and I had to custom order it. This is the kind of thing I could replace in my new home for about $300-$400 plus my time. We're talking a pretty high end storm door at that price too. The mid-grade custom for the old house $700, not installed.  

If the electric, water, heating, roofing (the big items) have all been maintained then you're in good shape. As others have said, lead and asbestos can be a problem. Be aware of popcorn ceilings which are common and can also have asbestos. A sample would need to be sent out for testing at the sellers expense, if they refuse run

Just know that fixing things will be more complicated and can potentially cost twice as much, also you may find that you'll need to hire out work vs DIY.  The reason here is there will have been a multitude of people who have worked on your house previously and there's more potential for something to be improperly installed or jerry-rigged along the way. If you decided to do any serious renovations, brace yourself for an adventure.  It might be smooth sailing or it could be a disaster, you just don't know until the plaster comes down and the layers get peeled back.  You could potentially need to hire carpenters to re-create something that hasn't been made in 90 or so years (I did) you'll want a reputable one. Make nice with the neighbors, get references from the locals!

The other side of that is the aesthetics.  Older homes are gorgeous IMHO and tend to have amazing moldings, staircases, and all kinds of cool features that just were not added into newer homes. Doing 6 inch window moldings and 10 inch baseboards would be incredibly costly today.  Having replaced a section of those 10 inch baseboards and then figuring out how to use 4 different router bits to duplicate the old detail, I speak from experience.  There is a certain level of pride in having restored an older home.  Just be prepared for the literal blood, sweat, and tears along the way.

I wish you the best of luck on your search and move.  Regardless of the build date, buying and moving, especially to a new area can be stressful stuff.  Definitely get an inspection and try not to let emotion overrule a smart investment. 

• 1 month later...

Based on the experience of friends, be prepared NOT to get your investement back if and when you have to sell and move on. Depending on the market, and the amount of reno that the house needs, on re-selling you can take a hit (House and Garden TV not withstanding!).

If you want to renovate an old house for the experience and satisfaction of living in a historic home brought up to code, then go for it.