Orchid window trim questions - help!!!

PepperJoAz

So, I'm working on installing the outside window trim, and I'm a little confused.  The instructions seem to show placing the pediments on top of the window casing, which would mean there is a small gap between the part of the pediment that ends up above the casing and the wall of the house.  

Is that correct??  It seems odd to me that it would not be flush against the wall, but what do I know?!?!?!

I tested putting the pediment ABOVE the window casing, but that looks kind of odd, too.  

Any Orchid builders with some insight?  Would it look odd if I just left off the upper pediment altogether?  Has someone else had a much better idea???  

Thanks for any advice / hints / pictures / support / etc !! 

Edited by PepperJoAz

Well I left them off on my bricked Orchid, but I was going for another look:

I can tell you though that placing them against the wall above the frame looks very odd, as I accidentally did this on the Lily, which was my very first house; I stuffed some floral diversions in the space between the pediment and the frame:

It wouldn't look weird to leave it off but I loved them on both the lily and the orchid :) I've built this kit So many times I can't count them. I did blog one of them here http://minisontheedge.blogspot.com/2011/06/orchid-dollhouse-building-blog-days-1-3.html

Edited by Minis On The Edge

Thanks, ladies!!!  I have officially been inspired !!! 

Rbytsdy, I like the brick!!!  My Orchid doesn't look nearly as good as yours =/   But it did inspire my window solution.  

I don't think i'm going to use the included pediments.  I think what I want to do is have like a "sash" like at the bottom (but not as wide) or like a piece of crown molding or something to kind of "cap off" the window.  I will have to look around to see what I like, but I think that's the solution.  

So far I've mostly "gone with my gut" when it came to decisions, and I've been fairly happy so far!!  I'll cross my fingers that this will have the same result!! =) 

Joanne, you could put crown molding on the window casing and cut corner pieces so the pediment fits snug over the casing, or add a piece of wood between the corner pieces so the pediment sits on top of the casing. Not sure if I'm explaining that well but here's a blog post with pictures worth 1,000 words: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=7414

Edited by fov
  • Like 1

You could also trim away the bottom edge of the window pediment, so that it sits flush on top of the window. I do like that pediment that Emily did, too. 

That's a good idea, too !!!  I will have to look at that, see how it looks.  Thanks for the idea!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I also was confused about how to install the pediments . I had decided not to even put them on but after looking at them one more time I tried to notch out the 25th over the edges of the window sash and this thing to work . So I notched out all five of the pediments including the door and install them and plan to put decorative blocks over the join to cover it better also it will look more authentic with the pediment I'll be using mat board to make those because it's thinner .