Painting over tapewire?

Rocio

OK, lately I feel like I've been abusing my forum privalages. I'm asking to many questions (sorry). :(

But, this question is kind of important so I can move on. I've tapewired my dollhouse, and although I'm going to be wallpapering the walls, my question is: if you'd recommended to prime over the tapewire? The tapewire does shows through the wallpaper :D . I know the instructions say it's ok, but I've read conflicting opinions. What say you?

Thank you.

With this one I think I'll be set for a few days lol. I've got a lot of work to get finished.

abusing my forum privalages. I'm asking to many questions (sorry)

Cannot happen, one of the purposes of a forum is to provide information & assistance. If no one asks any questions, what? We all sit around sipping green apple pucker and patting each other on the back? (Not that we don't do that, too :D )

Your tapewire is going to show under paint, too (I've noticed it in pictures). If you position it so it's not too obvious I understand you can paint or paper directly over it, so primer oughta be OK, too. Darrell really can better advise you. That said, let me throw out a suggestion I've seen on another forum. Make paper patterns of your walls and use them to cut out cardboard templates, and paint or paper those. You can apply them to your walls with doublesided tape and your wires will not show through, plus you can remove them should you ever need to "troubleshoot your wiring or decide to change the decor.

Yes the tapewire does show thru most of the time. I have painted over and put spackle on top of the tapewire and nothing bad has happened.

But I would say wait for Darrell to answer!

Hi, thanks you guys. Charlene that's a really good suggestion, I like that way better than priming. I don't trust myself with paint, and electrical wires.

I am however keeping my cool just now, it seems I either have a really bad junction splice, or I messed up all of my wires. I'm waiting for a new junction splice. I really hope it's that.

Thanks a lot!

Bad junction splice? How odd. Check all your tape connections & make sure you've placed a grommet or brad on both sides of the tapewire (blue & pink both) for each tape connection and make sure that your brads or grommets are properly seated into the tape. That's where I usually find my disconnect -- it's a "duh" moment, but I do it all the time.

Looking forward to seeing your end results :D

Hi, thanks you guys. Charlene that's a really good suggestion, I like that way better than priming. I don't trust myself with paint, and electrical wires.

IThanks a lot!

Y'know I should have added that I prime over the tape if I'm gonna paint and that's just because the wood soaks up the paint if it's not primed. (I know, others prime 'cause of fear of warping, but I've never had that problem). I've had no problem priming over the tapewire, with or without tape one it.

BUT if you're painting the walls and you're really anti-pre-paint-priming, why not put in your electrical tape and then do false walls (use matboard or illustration board)...I still prime those, but there's no wire in the way. And, using the false walls, you can always get to the wiring if ever you have a problem.

If you're papering, prime or not, your choice -- again I've had no problem not priming before I paper.

Hi, I just wanted to thank you Charlene for you suggestion. My walls were already primed, before doing the eletrical. I used the tape over the wire, which really made my tapewire not visible. I think I may put a coat of primer over the tape, just incase I use lighter wallpaper.

Doogster good point LOL. I will listen to your listen.