Half scale lover, building first dollhouse

Debsrand56

I used Aileen's Super Thick tacky glue on the shingles (I picked some up through Amazon).  It worked great!  It has a lower water content than a lot of other glues, and it grabs quickly.  (I got the suggestion from the Half Scale group on Yahoo, and it was perfect.)  I found that laying half a line of shingles, putting some blue painter's tape across and letting things set while I finished the other half, worked really well.  It didn't slow me down, and the low-water glue, coupled with the painter's tape, kept the shingles pretty flat.  I know RGT says to use Liquid Nails, but I have a cat and was concerned about the fumes affecting her.  This time of year, I can't really shingle outside.

• Like 1

Thank you Holly and Deborah.  You guys have been great help on my first house.  I'm already wondering what I can build next.  We have a small miniature club here that meets once a month so I'm learning from them too.  :)

• Like 1

I can't believe you are almost done!  Are you going to post pictures in the gallery?  I have already purchased the Fairfield for my next build, and after that I have my eye on the half scale Merrimack from Earth & Tree, because I think it would be fun to do something in mid-century modern.  Oh, and I have a half-scale camper kit coming from Petite Properties.  :-)

I'm not sure if I know how to add photos except as attachments here.  I guess I can attach more than one?  I am getting close to finishing the house itself, however, furnishing it may be awhile.  I have all of the wallpapering and flooring done and that's about it.  I didn't add lights.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to tackle that yet.  haha.

I love all of your furnishings - just not sure if I would know how to make them myself.  I do have quite a few vintage "tootsietoy" pieces that I think will fit well in this half scale bungalow so I plan to use a lot of them.  Will the Fairfield be 1:12 or 1:24 scale?  I would love to see your camper.  Which reminds me - I ordered a vintage camper kit from Etsy last week.  I haven't got it yet but I guess that will be my next build.  It wasn't very expensive so I'm not sure of the quality.  The photos made it look pretty cute though. (I've attached a photo).    I'll keep you posted.  :) 

camper.jpg

• Like 1

If you go to Create/Gallery Image, you can start an album and upload pretty much unlimited photos.  Tootsie toys should fit very well in your house; I know a lot of half-scale people use them.  The Fairfield is 1:24 (not even sure if they make it in 1:12 scale).  Love your camper! It's so cute.  Mine will need lots of decorating.  I'm linking because they have multiple photos:  https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/1/24th-retro-caravan.html  It's actually going to be a gift for a friend who loves tiny houses (the real-life trend), and I'm going to make her a tiny tiny-house.

• Like 1

OK thanks.  Once I get my house finished I will create an album.  I love your little camper.  I'm sure it will be darling once you add your décor.  I do like the smaller scale so the camper kit that I'm getting will probably seem huge.  haha

I'll be anxious to see your Fairfield once you start building it.  I will definitely be building another 1:24 scale house.   Just not sure which one.  I don't have room for a 1:12 size.  However, I would like to possibly build a 1:12 room box or the RGT Wall House Kit someday.

• 4 weeks later...

I will try to post some photos today of my finished bungalow.  The house itself is finished but nothing in the interior yet.  Thanks Deborah for giving me some places to look for furnishings.  I've order some from Petite Properties already and have the piano and one bed in the photos.   I also used your method of staining the shingles with vinegar and steel wool.  They turned out great I think. 

• Like 1

I will see if I can find the photo.  The problem is that the scale doesn't seem uniform - even though they both said "half scale" when I ordered from Petite Properties.  After measuring, I feel the piano is too small.  

image.jpeg

Hmmm.  It does seem a little small.  However, they are unlikely to be in the same room, and I think you may actually be happy that the piano is smaller, because you can fit more in a room that way.  They both turned out very well.  Does the bed come with a little mattress?

Or if I ever do a 1:12 house it could be a toy piano.  Haha

No - the bed did not come with a mattress but I'm going to attempt to make them.  I will try making the bedding as well.  I have two of these beds that I was planning to put in the middle room of the second floor.