Six days and counting....

me-barbie

Monday, I started feeling a bit punky, but I attended a workshop being held locally anyway (gotta get those cont. ed hours). Tuesday, felt worse,but off I went, daycare day. Been flat on my back, that is unless I am turning myself inside out coughing, ever since. My friend did an emrg run to get kleenex chicken soup etc on Wednesday, went thru all that so dragged my butt out today for more. This is a really nasty bug. And I have a very busy week coming up, ending with driving four hrs to go home for Thanksgiving! :-(

Sorry to hear that! You may want to try the following in addition to your chicken soup. Black elderberry, the liquid extract or syrup is best. Also ginger syrup is a good natural cough syrup, I used to buy one at my Walmart in FL, but don't know if they carry it still; you can make your own easily enough. Also bourbon and ginger ale is good to drink; oh and ask your doc for cough syrup with codeine; I find it works wonders before bed.

I recommend checking to see if you're allergic to codeine first.  DH & I have developed sensitivities over the years & now codeine does nasty things that are counter to any therapeutic benefit.

bourbon and ginger ale? Get the germs drunk? Lol

I think the theory is to get yourself drunk so you won't notice how miserable you are. :D

Hope the bug is on the run, but for goodness' sake don't go exposing your clients to whatever you have. Whatever business you have going on this week can probably survive a delay, eh? 

Unfortunately colds last however long they re going to last.  The best thing to get through them is lots of rest and clear liquids and, as KathieB points out, not sharing the nasty thing with the rest of the world.  Take care, Barbie, and get well soon.

I am back at work as we can only take 3 days sick. Had all the parents looking at me and going "are you sure you should be here?". Lots and lots of handwashing going on. Of course, it's likely one of my little walking biohazards GAVE me this bug, lol.

One of the public health nurses recommended some aromatherapy technqiues to help calm the cough. I shall try them tonight.

Maybe snag a box of the face masks on a trip to the drugstore?  That way you aren't as likely to reinfect your little walking biohazards.  I was fortunate that as a public health nurse who worked in the elementary schools I could take as much time as I needed to recover from whatever nasty bugs my little darlings gave me; that and having sick leave accumulated out the wazoo I could and would take the ten days it took for the antibiotics to kill off all the bacteria that took advantage of my virus-lowered immune system to start breeding.  I only recall a couple of times I was able to struggle through a cold without the ensuing over-infection, and both times have been since I retired.

LOL Holly, a couple of year back we had to attend an Infection Control workshop. The nurse leading it talked about the use of masks. I put the mask on as directed and then looked at her and gave her my most common command to my wee artic/phono/oral motor/apraxic kiddies:

"Look at my face and watch my mouth!" :dunno:

She went "Oh. I never thought about that!"

• Like 1

While in France this past May, I needed some surgical masks. I went into a pharmacy, attempted to explain what I needed and they gave me 10 for free. The comical thing about it was I didn't understand that they were free and I kept insisting on paying. "Combien?" "Zero????"  

I just just finished a week of prednisone due to cronique aspirating of liquids. As soon as I get back from my trip to see fall foliage in NH, I swear I'm going to have a swallow test to find out why liquids keep going down the wrong pipe. I'm sick of this!!!

Sable there could be a whole bunch of reasons for aspiration, and a swallow study does not reveal why, only confims. The kicker is...we can't stop it. We can thicken people's liquids, do all kinds of things to their food, but we can never stop aspiration, as if one aspirates liquids, one also aspirates one's own secretions. This is why oral care is such a HUGE issue for our vulnerable populations.

I'm glad I had a pneumonia vaccine. I hear there is a new one, might look into that too. My FIL had to thicken his liquids with a powder. That's how I'm aware of the Swallow test. "What a Drag it is Getting Old"

I'm glad  a pneumonia vaccine. I hear there is a new one, might look into that too. My FIL had to thicken his liquids with a powder. That's how I'm aware of the Swallow test. "What a Drag it is Getting Old"

There are other ways to thicken liquids that tend to be a bit more palatable. Juices are now available in prethickened format 

after the study, get thee to a SLP experienced in dysphagia if texture changes are recommended