Newly Acquired Beacon Hill

CheckMouse

I went to pick up the Beacon Hill house the other day and she is now sitting on the workbench in my craft shop. Since this is a Greenleaf house, built in 1990 (or before; work stopped in 1990), I was wondering what the chances are that someone here might know who built it?  Not sure when this forum started, but I guess 1990 might be too early for the Internet forums.  The story I got is that the lady building it got sick, and subsequently died without finishing the house. She was a master craftsman - it is perfectly put together, all the wallpaper is awesome, tape wiring is installed throughout the house, and few lights are in place. And I have a box of all the remaining pieces to go onto it - siding, trim, windows, etc. Don't know where it has been all this time but it was just sold at a charity auction. I bought it from the lady who got it at auction and didn't want to keep it. 

Now I just have to wait till Miss Beacon tells me what she wants to be. large.New_Arrival_09292015_-_15.jpg.310elarge.New_Arrival_09292015_-_22.jpg.dd5d

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be fun to discover the mysteries of this house. If anyone can, you will. 

The Garfield I have was started in the 1980's so perhaps they were friends in another life. 

Strange how we personify these builds, isn't it?

• Like 1

We all need to put our names somewhere on our work so that someone at least knows the original builder.  This is a very beautiful, well built house!

I always sign my work, whether quilt, drawing, whatever.  My name and the date started is on the bottom of my still to be finished Beacon Hill.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be fun to discover the mysteries of this house. If anyone can, you will. 

The Garfield I have was started in the 1980's so perhaps they were friends in another life. 

Strange how we personify these builds, isn't it?

I'm assuming the builder of this house lived in WA, since it's really too big to be packing around the country. I'll have to talk to the lady I got it from and see if she can connect me with anyone closer to the house. It's nice to know that a Greenleaf house has been around for so long - the same with your Garfield.  All I know is that the work stopped in 1990 - don't know when she may have started it.

I wonder if GL has sales records? How many people bought the Beacon Hill in WA state in the late 1980's?  Hmmm  :detective:

I'm beginning to think these little houses take on a life of their own!

.... I wonder if GL has sales records? How many people bought the Beacon Hill in WA state in the late 1980's?  Hmmm  :detective:

I'm beginning to think these little houses take on a life of their own!

Hobby stores were very common in that era so GL might not have records of individuals who purchased kits other than the shops themselves since it was way before Internet ordering came of age.  I know what shop mine came from but the shop was long gone by the mid 1990s.  

• Like 1

Yes, there were a lot of hobby stores in the 1980's. I was living in TN at the time and found a miniature store just a few blocks from our home. That's when I got the courage to "come out of the mini closet"!  I finally realized I was NOT crazy, nor abnormal, and there were LOTS of people who liked all things tiny!  :cloud9:  The proprietors of that store were so kind and helpful, answering my questions and helping me with some small projects. 

That's such a wonderful house! I don't like most wallpapers, but I do like what you've got, and I'm painting the Orchid in a color similar to that siding.

I do other crafts (quilting, sewing, embroidery) and I have finished several pieces that were started by others ages ago. It always adds a bit of mystery and fun for me to think about who did it, why, why wasn't it finished, etc.

I always sign my finished work, but I never thought to sign it when I start it. That's a great idea!   

• Like 1

Like you, Linda, I sign my finished work.  Maybe I should start signing earlier - and if it gets covered up later I can re-sign it. 

Picture it:  ambulance ride - agitated patient "Wait!  I didn't sign my dollhouse yet! Take me back to the house!"   :) 

• Like 1