Floors and beams?

Kgalindo38

Are you building the Glencroft (with beams) or are you just adding beams to the house you're building?  With the Glencroft I had to get insistent with some of the beams, but once I go them to fit I popped them in with wood glue.  With the beams I installed in La Casita I turned the house upside down and, again using wood glue. I glued the beams into place across the ceilings.  I scribed the "boards" directly into the kit wood for the Glencroft's wood floors.  When I use wood strips I paint the base floor with rubber cement and then brush rubber cement on the back of each strip of wood and lay it in place.  I really love the self-adhesive vinyl "wood flooring strip that Greenleaf sells in their store; I just run a wee bead of tacky glue along the back as the sheet that comes with them suggests, to hold them in place whilst the adhesive bonds with the wood beneath.  Lately I cut the ion-on wood veneer strips into:"board" widths and lengths and iron them in place.

Heh, heh....with Greenleaf houses, if you want an open floor plan, it's easy to cut holes in the side walls and slip beams in there that run across the entire underside of the second floor. That allows you to spread the weight of the second floor out, letting the side walls support the beams which support the second floor, and should prevent it from warping without having an interior wall to hold it up.

• Like 2

Kim, for ceiling beams I cut a template of the ceilings and then use 1/4 inch dowels, I lay them out and cut them to size with the template before I install them on the ceiling. IF I use spackle between the beams for a rougher texture, I transfer the template on the ceiling, spackle within the lines that mark the position of the beams and then glue the beams in last.