Advice please on installing wiring

Risotto

I am working on one of my first miniature projects and so enjoying it-- a beach cottage kit that came with instructions written in Chinese.  I have done pretty well figuring most things out except I don't know how to "snug" the lighting wiring into room /wall corners as I feed the wires through from i.e. ceiling to the room corners to the floor to the battery pack on the bottom of the cottage.  

The sketches accompanying the instructions almost look like there are tiny staples used to secure the wiring to the room walls.  The kit walls are too dense to use any staples and, although the securing spots would probably be hidden by furnishings, I don't think I would like the look of staples.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  

You might try using some small molding pieces to cover the corner wires. A piece of channel or L shaped molding would work easily. Faux beams on the ceiling or crown molding perhaps.

• Like 1

I wish I could attach a picture, cutting channels won't work because the wire has to be laid over finished wall papered walls in the corner, outside the cottage it has to be swagged across the upper wall underneath an overhanging roof.  For the most part the wires will be hidden by furnishings etc but I wanted to snug them up to the wall so that there won't be any excess wires flopping about or loosening ...  I might try using some putty to give the wire something to adhere to along the ie corner or outside wall, I'll just have to put the putty in places where it won't be seen...

Edited by Risotto

Most of us put the wires underneath the wallpaper. Have you already competed the wallpaper? Still there are many who install electric after buying a completed dollhouse. I have an instruction booklet that gives instructions on how doing that but just say to glue the wire along the moulding in a hidden sight line or down the corners just as you're talking about. Can you paint the wire the same all the wallpaper (if the walloper is already in place) and then use clear glue?

• Like 1

I am working on one of my first miniature projects and so enjoying it-- a beach cottage kit that came with instructions written in Chinese.  I have done pretty well figuring most things out except I don't know how to "snug" the lighting wiring into room /wall corners as I feed the wires through from i.e. ceiling to the room corners to the floor to the battery pack on the bottom of the cottage.  

The sketches accompanying the instructions almost look like there are tiny staples used to secure the wiring to the room walls.  The kit walls are too dense to use any staples and, although the securing spots would probably be hidden by furnishings, I don't think I would like the look of staples.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  

Do you need to move the battery pack or add another which might help you with wire placement? just an idea

• Like 1

Depending on how visible the wires are I might just see if I can paint both wires white (thanks BriJohn) and then try to tack them down in various spots with a clear glue... This was my first house-like project so I followed the directions (did I mention that they were in Chinese??!!) and of course put the wallpaper on first thing, wiring came pretty well last in the directions.  The little cottage will be so full of miniature furnishings and items that I made from the kit that there would be no room inside it for placement of the battery pack.  I am just hoping to get the battery place in a spot underneath the cottage so all the wires will reach the battery...

Interesting how different people approach things differently.  My 80 year old aunt is working on her own cottage kit and it is frustrating her because you have to go step by step, often puzzling what to do based on sketches because we can't read the directions.  I however so enjoy poking about with it one day, puzzling over how I will approach some bit, and coming back the next day and somehow I will have figured out how to approach the bit!  And I really do enjoy taking my time working on the project.  Hopefully this first experience will help me when I get into the smaller scales! 

• Like 1

Interesting how different people approach things differently.  My 80 year old aunt is working on her own cottage kit and it is frustrating her because you have to go step by step, often puzzling what to do based on sketches because we can't read the directions.  I however so enjoy poking about with it one day, puzzling over how I will approach some bit, and coming back the next day and somehow I will have figured out how to approach the bit!  And I really do enjoy taking my time working on the project.  Hopefully this first experience will help me when I get into the smaller scales! 

That's so true for me too. I get frustrated many times and walk away to think and come back later ready and a new idea hits me. I've only been at this a little over year but I've learned a lot so far by not giving up and keep reading and experimenting. 

Hhhmmm molding bits might work....

Or, faux walls laid on top of the real walls, where the faux wall is made of foamboard which is typically (~3/16" thick) thick enough to cut channels in the back of it. Of course this would necessitate installing the wallpaper on the faux wall instead, and would also decrease the volume of the room... I have used molding/trim to hide wires quite a bit though I do have to take into account the thickness of the wire and sand down the trim to fit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...