Plastic skellies - can I???

Anna

Well, as I have been down with a flue/cold the last couple of Days I have been doing nothing much apart from looking at the minis, dreaming, snoozing and nodding off but that has also spiked my interest for those skellies I have around.

I want to make some slight alterations and were wondering about a couple of things and wanted to ask if anyone else has done something like this. Ie I want to add some 2weight" to arms and legs for an example and were considering adding fimo on top of the plastic and then put the item into boiling water, yay or nay on that idea?

And speaking of boiling, can I put the skellies into the simmering water to soften the plastic and to be able to bend/alternate the position of limbs?

Tried searching for the tips I know have been shared but the fingers and mind are a bit "dim" so to speak.

Hugs

Not sure what boiling water would do to the skellies....might take the paint off.  I used a hair dryer to pose them. Just heat up the joint you want to pose, carefully bend it in place and while holding it in place, run it under cold water. Not enough heat and the skellie won't bend well, too much and you start to melt the poor guy so it's a little experimental.

Thanks Debra, will have a trail and error I suspect.

Could be either of them Holly, might even have been a fall Gazette tutorial somewhere too.

Have an idea to try for the head/face, will see if it works and if it does I'll share.

Now off to play with superglue and metal beads, this will be fun.

Hugs

...Have an idea to try for the head/face, will see if it works and if it does I'll share.

Now off to play with superglue and metal beads, this will be fun.

Hugs

I have seen the skellies done with bead eyes and wigs.

• Like 1

I made small cuts at the joints I wanted to bend (sometimes severing completely, sometimes not) and then used super glue gel to set them in the new configuration. 

I'd expect the skellies to survive a brief simmering without dissolving, but you may need to sacrifice one to the pot to be sure.

• Like 2