I'm going to build The Orchid

vbharrington

I have always loved everything tiny, especially dollhouses.  My mom had a huge (to me at the time) dollhouse built for my 13th birthday, but I can't remember the name of the kit (It isn't a Greenleaf, but it looks a little like the Beacon Hill)  Anyway, 25 years later, I really want a dollhouse in my house (my large one is too big for my house, and is still at my mothers) but I have never built one, so I went with the Orchid, thinking that if I totally ruined it, I'd only be out of $30.  I am excited to begin, but nervous too, when I was a little girl, I saw the Garfield in a Sears catalog and have wanted one ever since.  My husband has told me that if I build a couple of smaller houses with success, he will buy me the Garfield.  I'm very excited, but with 5 children (3 of whom are 4 and under) I am not sure when I will ever get my Orchid started, much less finished.

The Orchid is a wonderful little house and a great choice for your first build. There are many people who have built one and there was a team build of it so you will get lots of help any time you need it.

Welcome and have fun!

• Like 1

Vickie there are actually two team building blogs for the Orchid, so you can see how versatile this little house is.  I think with toddlers in the house you're smart to stick with something small, and save your Garfield for when the youngest finishes elementary school.  It is NOT necessary to finish a kit quickly; my first build took me 3 1/2 years plus.

• Like 3

It is NOT necessary to finish a kit quickly; my first build took me 3 1/2 years plus.

Holly, I don't think I will ever be TOTALLY "finished" with my first build!  Which was an Orchid that I planned to give away, but I fell in love with the little house and still have it. It's a great kit to start with and very cute when finished... uhh, almost finished. Amy is right, this is a wonderful place to find answers.  Enjoy your first build!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! I'm in the last stages of my Orchid build-adding trims, then shingles, then done! Oh...then I have to furnish it, which will be a whole lot of other projects.

I think I'm almost at the year mark for this house. I never planned on it taking this long, but I work and have other hobbies and activities.

If I had to review it, I would say it was a very reasonable build. There was nothing really that difficult, most all of the bits and pieces went together like they should. Do a dry fit at least once, and continue to dry fit as you go. Mark all of the pieces with the part number and the correct orientation of how they fit together. There is a right and wrong way that the side walls and dormer/gable roofs go on, and you'll be sad if you reverse them.

One of the things I really appreciate about these smaller houses is that it's easy to pick them up and tote them around, lay them on their side, balance the shell with one hand as you open the garage door with the other, etc. I was almost embarrassed that I was building such a small house, but it definitely has had it's advantages. I was also skeptical of the 1/8" plywood, but once it's all together, it's surprisingly sturdy. I'm not sure I'd let a small child play with it, but it's turned out to be much more solid that I ever expected.

I have fallen in love with my little house!       

• Like 1

Linda, if you add 1/4" strpwood to the interior corners and staple them as well as gluing them in place before you decorate the exterior (so you can cover the staples) and leave off the windows and doors, there's no reason little children cannot play with these houses; just supervise them so that their little friends and older kids don't see what it takes to smash them to pieces...

• Like 1