Asahi Tea House Kit Wall Thickness?

Can anyone tell me what the wall thickness is of the Asahi Tea House kit?

When you make windows and doors for Greenleaf kits, what thickness basswood do you use?

What do you use to finish your edges?

Please advise - thank you! :0)

Greenleaf kit wood is 1/8" thick; Corona Concepts is 3/16".  When I make the doors I use 1/8" basswood for the door and 1/16" or thinner for the trims.  For the windows it depends on if you make them working or not, and what style.  If the Asahi is laser cut you might not need to finish the edges, except paint.  Some people use channel molding over the raw edges.  I have used narrow ribbon, but usually I just put a bit of spackle on my finger and rub the edges with that, then go back and sand it and paint it.  You could also glue stripwood over the edges and paint or stain that.

• Like 1

Thanks Holly! I'll probably need to order some 1/8 & 1/16 strip wood. I really like the idea of spackle - mostly because I like to play with it! ;0)

What do you use to cut the walls when you bash it? For the MDF kits, I use my scroll saw, but that's probably too aggressive for the 1/8 walls, right?

I use my RL band saw to cut the GL and CC kits and it works fine. I also have used a utility knife to score and snap pieces. It just takes several passes and a steel ruler and steady hand. An EZ cutter will cut the trims quite fine. I have a Proxxon scroll saw but haven't mastered good control on tight cuts with it yet but it does cut it fine.  I use a keyhole saw for interior cuts sometimes as well as a my Trio. Some folks use their regular Dremels to do interior cuts. I've tried that but my hands are not steady enough and it's too freaky for me.

You can order individual kit sheets from the GL company if you mess up one (yea, some of us learn things the hard way rather than the easy way). Big box lumber stores sell small sheets of luan which is about the right thickness if you need larger pieces.

Thank you Selkie!

I have an Xacto, lots of blades, and a ruler, so I'll definitely give that a try!

I have an Easy Cutter and the Xacto saw and miter box so the trim, especially with 1/8: and 1/16" should cut like butter! :0) Yeah!

I got the Dremel Moto Saw for Mother's Day (my husband also loves tools so I get the best gifts!), and my husband rigged a fence on it for me so I get a little better control on the straight pieces. I'm still working on the curved stuff too. Not there just yet...

I am with you on using the Dremel for interior cuts. My lines are horrid and on the 3/8" mdf it smokes like a chimney - scary! I saw the Trio on Amazon. It's in my wishlist. There's a cut guard for it too. Does that help with the plunge cuts after you make a pilot hole? If so, I am ordering!

The sheet thing is good to know! I seem to always want to be bashing things, never satisfied with easy!

I used the luan stuff from Home Depot on the little bathroom extension to my Starbucks. Now I feel better about the Asahi walls!

Awesome!

Jodi, I use my Xacto only for unbaked polyclay and foamcore.  For cutting kit wood I use my Stanley utility knife  for smallish cuts and either the family bandsaw or my Dremel Trio (for interior cutting).

I think the more I learn about the Trio, the higher on my wish list it's becoming!

Here's a thought: I owned a Trio for three years and never used it. Any bashing I needed to do could be done with hand tools, and I really prefer using hand tools over power. I have the time and the patience to do it the old fashioned way. :) I sold the Trio to another forum member during the Big Move Clearance Sale and don't miss it. 

Here's a thought: I owned a Trio for three years and never used it. Any bashing I needed to do could be done with hand tools, and I really prefer using hand tools over power. I have the time and the patience to do it the old fashioned way. :) I sold the Trio to another forum member during the Big Move Clearance Sale and don't miss it. 

Kathie, I'm so encouraged by what you've shared here as I've been reluctant to buy power tools yet, so many to choose from! I've been reading your blog lately, especially the two
Adams bashed and amazed you've skipped the power accessories!!