Address maps in photo albums

Selkie

Anyone notice the google maps with people's addresses listed in the photo album picture info box? 

Is there a way to turn that off? If not, I'm guessing some folks (like me) aren't going to post pictures anymore.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with the entire universe having that info so readily available anymore than having our phone numbers or email addresses posted. 

They don't seem to be on any of the older photos - before the August upgrade. I see them on some of the newer ones but not all. That's why I was asking if there was an "off" button - a selection tool if you will.

I think it's as Dalesq and Cathy have said, that it's a gps function on the phone, tablet, or computer that has engaged with the software here. 

I couldn't see ny location indicator in my gallery, but all my pictures wee loaded from photo CDs into "My Pictures" and then uploaded from there, so I guess I don't have that issue.

Holly, you don't use a camera in a phone or tablet, so this is not an issue that would affect your photos. It's the gps feature in the hand-held devices that is the culprit that collects data on location. You don't even use a digital camera, so there's no possibility of your photos being linked to a location.

Holly, you don't use a camera in a phone or tablet, so this is not an issue that would affect your photos. It's the gps feature in the hand-held devices that is the culprit that collects data on location. You don't even use a digital camera, so there's no possibility of your photos being linked to a location.

That's what I thought.

Shutting off Google maps integration doesn't fix the problem.  It shows the address in text form rather than the map.  I'll get with Logan and see if there is anything he can do.  There is a privacy setting just below the map where you can hide it from the public/other users.  I would suggest you use that for now.

FACT: Dean hates upgrades more than anyone.  Keeping current with the latest software is the only way to stay ahead of hackers/malware/spammers, so therefore it is a necessary evil. I thank everyone for your understanding and patient as we all get use to the new software.    

Edited by Mini Man
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Apparently, the last two photos I uploaded listed my address (well, a neighbors, as Google doesn't like my house....but it is on the same road). I had no clue until a fellow forum member pointed it out to me. I did go into my iPad settings and turned off the location services...I haven't uploaded any other pics to see if this has fixed it showing.

• Like 1

I turned the location services off on my iPad and used the iPad to take a few photos that I then uploaded to my "Misc Minis" album. When I look at my "First Houseplant" and "Pamela 1" photos, I do not see an address or a map, so I assume that other people do not see that info either.  If you do see an address or map with those photos, please let me know.  That'll mean that turning off the location services did not fix the problem.

• Like 1

Ditto, I haven't adjusted settings on my phone, which is how I take photos and upload them...but I have never seen my address pop up on any images so I'm assuming that it's not seen. If anyone sees an address on my photos please let me know. 

• Like 1