Getting ready to paint the Garfield

hsouthard

I decided to go against using wallpaper on the walls but to paint them with designs or just solid colors with wood trim depending on the rooms... I know acrylic paint is water based and could  expand/warp the wood which I would like to avoid at all costs. If anyone out there has painted their homes what type and brand are the best paints to use?

I have used regular house paint on my walls and craft paints...I have never noticed much warping....and unless the warping is super bad...it will usually work itself out when being put together...Love the Garfield...it is a huge and gorgeous house!!

• Like 1

I decided to go against using wallpaper on the walls but to paint them with designs or just solid colors with wood trim depending on the rooms... I know acrylic paint is water based and could  expand/warp the wood which I would like to avoid at all costs. If anyone out there has painted their homes what type and brand are the best paints to use?

I usually use interior latex paint, which can be thinned with water and is soap & water clean up, and I haven't noticed warping of any of the 1/8" wood.

• Like 1

I prime either by spraying or brushing it on first. I often use one of the products like BIN to prevent tannins in the wood from making stains later on. That all helps to seal the wood show up any inconsistency in the wood grain that you might need to smooth out as well.  Lightly sand and then you can use craft acrylics or regular paint. The house paints go on a bit thicker.  A couple or three thinner coats are better than trying to glob it on and only nave to do one coat. You can also completely cover the walls with spackle for a silky smooth plaster look before painting. It will look more like a RL finished wall since it will cover the wood grain. 

• Like 1

I have shelves upon shelves of acrylic paint... will those work with out having the wood warp/expand... I plan on priming everything with a white base coat then painting the different colors. I plan on painting everything before assembling and touching up where I have to.