Advice on room layout

Phillip

I'm building a dollhouse to donate to our preschool auction fundraiser and I'm struggling with room layout. I am inclined to have 6 equal sized rooms but with the number of windows, I don't have much wall space. I am considering having a large room on the ground floor to combine the entry way and a dining room but I'm not sure it works. Appreciate any advice. Pictures of both options attached 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I like the second option with the 'open concept' room so that you have more room for furniture - that's half the fun!   While you do lose some wall space you will make up for it with the beautiful light streaming in from all those windows.  Is this a scratch build?  It's gorgeous.

Wow that is a great house and should be a wonderful item within your fundraiser. I dont know the dimensions, but it appears the rooms are deep which allows more furniture placement options and the lack of wall space in that regard shouldnt hurt. With that said, I would like a wall in the dining and/or entry for art, mirrors, buffet, etc. Is it possible to make your divider removable so the new owner would have the option? I don't know if you are completing the house with paint, floor and ceilings which might make the removable wall more difficult. My vote is for the wall. If five of us reply you may get five different answers lol. Please post a final picture before you load it up for its new home.

That is a gorgeous house. Makes my efforts at sawing look like kindergarten scribbling.

Maybe you can have one large room on one side as the living room (keeping that wall there so you can have a formal entry hall) and then place a divider in the room on the other side (one that has a wide archway for a doorway so people can see into it) and using the front part as a dining room and the back part as a kitchen.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a beautiful house!  Having toured many gorgeous historic homes with their walls full of windows and interior doorways, the layout in the first picture looks fine to me.  Have you tried moving the downstairs left interior wall (as viewed from the open side) closer to the front door, making the hall a tad narrower?  Also, I don't see any doorways on any of the interior walls.  I'm also trying to wrap my head around the smaller second floor window on the right wall (as viewed from the open side); is the house supposed to be two rooms deep?  I'd also be sorely tempted to fill  in the downstairs window on that wall towards the house front and put in a fireplace, or if it's to be the kitchen, a large range.

Hi Phillip, Nice house........I would go for the first option (with the hallway) and as Holly says, perhaps reduce the width a little. The problem with the the open plan approach as I see it is that in a Real Life house of this size and obvious quality it's unlikely that owners would want the main house entry door opening in to a sitting room!

Thank you for all the inputs this far. A few notes - 

yes it's a scratch build based on the design of the house that now serves as the preschool. That's why the windows are so large and why on the top right there is only a half window. 

I plan to wall paper and install lights so I don't think a removable wall is an option. 

I haven't added that interior doors yet because the doors will vary based on room placement. I would like to add a double French door to a dining room space if possible

Personally, I like the open floor plan. However, should you choose to keep the entry wall I would move it closer to the door.  The walls dont have to line up with the second floor and by keeping the wall you may prevent sagging in the future (I doubt that would happen in your case due to your use of premium wood).

Edited by Sable
  • Like 1

Wow, wow this is such a nice structure! I love it. I love the small window and how the two sides aren't the exact same - much more realistic - and as you said, based on the real structure but even if it weren't I like it like that. My preference would be for the entry hall because it seems to me a grand structure like this would have a grand entry. And I love how in decorator magazines the entry in these fine houses have like a grand mirror and buffet style piece in the entry. Or fancy hall tree. Or grandfather clock. Special marble floor. You know, something extra to make that great first impression. I would combine the kitchen and dining on either side. I know the dining wouldn't be as formal or as big combined with kitchen, but it would still be pretty. I love seeing an eating table in the kitchen - just like I grew up with and seems cozy.

It reminds me of my new Thornhill house with dormers added! I love it. Please share with us as you continue on. 

wow- great work.

I like the 2nd open plan. It looks more interesting and it grants flexibility in choices of furniture.

I 2nd Freddie's idea of flipping the stairs case so that one would walk up the stairs right from the door. 

That is one huge house!  You could make a kitchen with pantry and a formal dining room downstairs, a formal drawing room/ living room and library on the second floor, and bedrooms and bath upstairs.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Soapz said:

You do beautiful work, Philip! Te windows are really great - you might want to consider making a tutorial.

What Chris said!!!

great work and very inspiring 

thank you for sharing