Hello from Virginia

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a happily married, 57 year old grandmother of 12. I live in Virginia but I am originally from Maine.

I am building my third dollhouse, Newport.  I have the next dollhouse "Orchid"' in a box ready to go and a punch list for another one after that. It is very addictive.

I found myself at home on disability several years ago after my third back surgery. I've had a 4th since then. On bad days, when I can't stand or sit to work on the actual structure, I can make all sorts of items to decorate the inside. I usually have no less than three projects going at once.  I love the forums, tutorials, and helpful hints on this website.

Luckily, my husband is very supportive and let me take over half of his den for the "Newport with addition.  He built a beautiful table with turntable for my house. 

He keeps asking what I'll do with these dollhouses, as we will eventually run out of room. I reminded him that we have 7 granddaughters out of 12 grandchildren. Guess I can plan on being busy for awhile. 

Hello and welcome, Pamela! What an understanding husband. I'm sorry to hear you have back trouble. I have it occasionally myself, although not as bad as you. Any way, it's good you have an outlet to distract and keep yourself entertained. I look forward to seeing pictures of your builds. When you've made 5 posts you can start an album in the gallery. Good luck with the Newport!

Welcome to the little family, Pamela, it sounds like you fit right in!

Welcome Virginia!  I thought that I would have a lot of time on my hands once I retired but working on miniatures certainly took care of that--- not enough hours in the day!  Looking forward to seeing you builds!

Welcome to the forum, Pamela! Glad you found your way here.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Hello Everyone, I’m so excited to be here
      By Lula
      Oh my goodness, I so happy I found this forum. Super excited to get to know all these creative minds.  I have zero experience building dollhouses - well as an art student 100 years ago in HS, I did create a miniature Shakespearian Scene for my English teacher. That’s it!
      My husband purchase this dollhouse for my at a Fleamarket. I’m planning on rehabbing it ;-) 
      xxx-ooo

• Newbie in Ohio
      By DeniSue
      Hi! I'm new to the miniature and dollhouse world. I'm from Ohio. I never thought I would own a dollhouse even though I've always loved them. Surprisingly my mother bought me the Beacon Hill kit for my 52nd birthday. I was in complete shock! I have no idea where to start past reading the directions and thinking "oh my, what have I gotten myself into?" I need help starting from the very beginning. 
    • Foxhall Manor: Ultimate Find!!!
      By HalfScaleDollhouseLOVER
      While searching for dollhouse kits locally (which includes my entire state! Woah!) I found somebody selling this already built but (a little) damaged Foxhall Manor by Real Good Toys.
      The shingles are broken, but terrible so they are coming off. The conservatory was painted a bright yellow so I'm going to both tone It down with some white paint, and place a very high wainscotting trim on the room. On the room It looks like spilled white paint (or maybe? glue). There are broken stairs, rails in the Grand Hall. It looks like real sized carpet was used.
      All I can see however is The Potential: I've got this hand crafted doll by an I.G.M.A. Artist named Eliza and this is going to be her home. I'm thinking of painting the roof black and later shingling it. The house either a dusky lavender or a dusky rose pink. Black trim. Dark grey and deep cream for accent colors.
      Only Artisan pieces and furniture inside this home! I cannot wait to start collecting, but I first must finish some Layaways in 1:24 scale. Already an Artisan member here has offered me a stunning rug that will have the pride of place in one of the rooms.
      It's going to take years, but it will be beautiful when it's finished.
      It needs Help and LOVE! But it is only: $40! I'm stunned.
      Going to hopefully pick it up next week. My friend is going to be taking me over to get it. I know that it is HUGE (it comes with the Conservatory and the two-story addition, but the staircases are missing, plus the (looking at the front) left side front-opening door.
      I've measured my desk: it fits! But only a foot more in length is available to work. I'm cleaning up my Craft Room this week and getting ready to bring my find home hopefully next week.
      I'm so THRILLED!
      There are Members that find these incredible Dollhouses for incredible prices, but I NEVER dreamed that I could ever be one.
    • 1:16 scale furniture in 1:12 scale house?
      By mininewbie
      Hello there,
      I am new to the mini community but have been an admirer for years.   I am giving my daughter a house full of furniture for Christmas this year and in the last two days have learned a lot of things about scale that I had no idea existed.   My problem is that I fell in love with some 1:16 scale furniture and ordered it not knowing that the home kits are specific sizes.   I LOVE the 1:12 scale homes more than the 1:16 scale home and am wondering if the 1:16 scale furniture will look terrible in a 1:12 scale home?   I plan on using all 1:16 scale furniture and dolls. 
      Do any of you have both a 1:12 scale home and 1:16 scale furniture that you could show me a picture of the size difference.  I've searched everywhere online and have only been able to find pictures of the furniture compared to each other but not a 1:12 scale home with all 1:16 scale furniture inside.  
      Thank you so much!   I'm sure as I get building, I will have a million more questions as well. 
    • New Here - Introduction
      By Msdemeanr
      Hi, new member here and wanted to introduce myself. I built a Harrison for my daughter several years ago; and although I was in over my head for a first timer, I enjoyed myself so much I wanted to build another one although I couldn’t justify building one if I wasn’t making it for someone (I’m not a collector (yet)). It’s been about 8 years, but I’m jumping back in with an Orchid kit that I’m kind of envisioning as a beach cottage. I’m excited for my winter project and really grateful for all the expertise and inspiration I’m finding here. I live in Virginia just outside of Washington DC.