Dog hair knitting service?

Luanne

Hi Folks,

Our two dogs are getting old and I read that there is a way to knit clothing items from their hair from all of the brushing.

I don't knit.

Do you know of a knitting service where I can send in the fur for them to make it into a scarf? 

About how much should I expect for this service? 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

I posted in " Other endeavors, but thought I should post here, too." 

Knitting it would take an extremely large quantity of hair, since you'd need to be able to spin it into a skeins. A short scarf could take an average of 2-3 skeins, being about 300-500 yards. That said, I don't know what kind of dogs you have, obviously large breeds would have more hair, and certain breeds have a double layer coat which sheds much more than others.  This 2nd layer undercoat is generally used for this, which has softer fibers and lends itself to spinning (less itchy wool too).  I don't spin personally, so I can't give you a good estimate on how much wool weight = a yard, that depends on yarn thickness desired too.  I imagine finding a spinner and knitter who would make a scarf of your pattern choice would be a pricey endeavor.  Possibly thinner lace weight yarn (needed to reach scarf yardage lengths) means smaller needles and more thus skilled knitting  If you have a local yarn shop, they may know of local spinners or have a bulletin board posting knitters willing to knit for a fee.  Give 'em a call, I've always found my local yarn shop staff were more than friendly and willing to help.  Keeping it local might help reduce costs too, no shipping and such.

Another option to consider -You may find you can felt your own dog's hair and make a little memento yourself without having to pay a spinning service, collect multiple trash bags of fur, and pay for a knitting service.   It's really not as hard as someone might think.  Felting your own:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pAUAMT5I8 making flat pieces of felt. 

Or what about having a miniature felt artist use your dog's hair to felt something like this: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JanetsNeedleFelting?ref=l2-shopheader-name  I don't know this artist, just an example I found that would be readily available to contact, and prices seemed reasonable.  I mention this in particular because it could mix your love of minis and your dogs. You could even place them in a scene. 

In any event, best of luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Even when my dogs were freshly bathed I wouldn't want to wear anything knit from their fur.  I don't mind doggy odor on the live dog, but cleaning up the shed hair I know I wouldn't want it any closer than that.

One dog is an Australian Shepherd; the other is a Rough Collie.  My sister and husband think the clothing items are far from normal. I however think they are sweet and lovely. 

Their legs are getting weak.  One needs help getting up from tiles; she is ok on carpet.  The other doesn't stand up straight all the time. He crouches. 

A coworker just had to put his dog down after having her for 15 years.  I want to prepare for the end.  We might not have much say in this. 

I haven't seen one of this knitting items in person but I heard they don't smell. 

I think mixing this hobby and dog might be the right decision.   Thanks for the ideas.  I am waiting for the answer from our local weaver and knitter guild. 

I'm sure whoever does the carding and spinning does the treatment to remove the odors, which I think (don't quote me) are due to the skin oils.  Both dogs' undercoats ought to provide a lovely, soft fiber for yarn, possibly enough for a cap or scarf.  I don't think its so weird, I spent on afternoon watching a lady comb her rabbits and card and spin their fur. 

When our Beautiful Melody got so feeble she could hardly stand the vet put her on an anti-inflammatory that helped her with getting up and down, but when he switched her to glucosamine with chondroitin the change was dramatic!  within three days she was off and running along with DH.  She was about 13 when that happened, and I started taking the human version of glucosamine with chondroitin.  We had to let her go to the Rainbow Bridge when she was 15 1/2 because it turned out that she had cancer, and it was about to metastasize into her lungs.

Thanks Holly- My husband takes care of the medication department for the family. I will pass on  this info.  They are both on pain medications. 

This is my first dog, it's going to be tough.  I am sorry about your Melody.  She acted like a fun puppy even in her old age.