Vintage furniture kit help

9 posts in this topic

I just purchased a Skilcraft deluxe furniture kit at the thrift store for $3! It was an awesome find, but the instructions are missing. Everything seems intact, so I'm hoping someone on here has them stashed away  somewhere. :)

Which kit did you get?  Sometimes I can figure out how a piece goes together, based on the picture and the schematics sheet.  When you have time, do introduce yourself in the Newcomers' Forum.

Thanks for answering havanaholly!  It's the no. 694 - 35 pc kit with the wallpaper flooring and decals. I can probably figure  it out, but it will take a while.  There are a lot of pieces. Nothing has been punched out of the sheets, so that should help. Wish me luck! 

You might consider taking a picture of the sheets before you begin punching them out so you can easily see where each piece came from once you have a pile of little pieces jumbled in front of you. 

We've had some furniture craft kits from Walmart and the craft store similar to that that don't come with instructions. Sometimes there is a diagram on the back of the package cover. 

Once you a few larger pieces figured out, I'll bet they will fall into place. Plan on needing painters tape and/or clamps to assist you in holding it together while the glue dries. 

Thanks Selkie. There's  no diagram on the package, but taking pictures  is a great idea. I'm going to be altering a lot of the pieces anyway because  they are hilariously dated. Think grandma's house in the 70s... :eek:

36 minutes ago, wishkah_chic said:

Thanks Selkie. There's  no diagram on the package, but taking pictures  is a great idea. I'm going to be altering a lot of the pieces anyway because  they are hilariously dated. Think grandma's house in the 70s... :eek:

If it's a die cut Skilcraft kit and it's "vintage"  I must be an antique!

The date on the package is 1980. The pieces themselves look great but they came with decals that are quite dated. I think I'll probably paint them instead of staining.il_570xN.638147806_6pnb.jpg

That is SO neat!  I think I'd go ahead and stain first, stain can always be primed and painted over.  For clock faces I usually use the dials off of old ladies' wristwatches.  Mylar works well for mini mirrors.  I love the old thunderbox  w/c!  It would look great in a mid-century farmhouse.

I didn't believe there was any way this was complete when i saw it for $3. The wallpaper and flooring is ridiculously (yet wonderfully) retro. I'm working on a superhero secret lair for my son right now and plan to use a few pieces for that. The rest will indeed go into a mid century style house im planning. 

Edited by wishkah_chic