White House?

Sable

I'm considering redoing my Christy's Cottage by HJB and painting her all white and redoing the roof with real slate.  However, I'm not sure if I want to remove the stone on the bottom or paint it white, also. Any input is appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

I'm going with an all white house myself with charcoal colored shingles, so I think slate would be lovely. And I'd leave the color of the stone as is. Too much house all the same color will make the house look unnatural, I think. When you look at shabby chic rooms that are done in white, you'll notice that it's the different shades and textures of whites that make it feel so warm and comfortable, even though white is a cool color. Done in all one shade of white, those rooms would feel stark and uncomfortable. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

That's a great house as-is, but if you're painting it white, I'd leave the stone. Where did you find real slate shingles? The whole idea sounds simple and very pretty.  

I get my slate tiles from Richard Stacey, in the UK. I believe there are some sites in the U.S. where you can purchase them. My sister lives in England and I hoard them everytime I visit her. They are very expensive, however. They also add much more weight to the house. I think it's about $200 for 1000.  

http://www.richardstacey.com/slate.html#slate

I applied them to my Stone House:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=6726

15 minutes ago, blueirishmoon said:

Sable, I think it looks great the way it is! I love the foundation; what did you use? But if you're going to change it, how about a pale yellow, or a very warm-toned cream?

Thank you. The attached is a little larger than what I used. Can't seen to find mine. It's backsplash tile sheets from Lowes or HD.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Anatolia-Tile-Ivory-Travertine-Split-Face-Natural-Stone-Mosaic-Subway-Wall-Tile-Common-12-in-x-12-in-Actual-11-02-in-x-11-53-in/50334217

• 4 months later...

I decided to leave the existing house alone. So I purchased a new Christy's Cottage kit and will start after Easter. A little bashing is going to be required. The base won't be as high. The kitchen will be my first attempt at building kitchen cabinets like MikeUK builds using mat board.  The kitchen design depends on if I'm using the stairs. There will be a lot of real stone.   The front gable will have a design using the slate tiles. I'm going to try to attempt something like Otterine did on her Roland's Retreat.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/introducing-roland-s-retreat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stair or not to stair? That was this week's question. The placement of the stairs could have had 3 different scenarios. None of them worked 100%.  So, no stairs it is.

Also, I bought 4 sample paints for the interior walls from Ben Moore; going to paint this one using Stickyfingers technique.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Love it! I did sandpaper lozenge shingles on my first Orchid.

Holly, is "lozenge" the name of the design? It amazes me how you know the names of so many techniques and designs. 

Edit: I just looked it up on google and sure enough it's called a lozenge design.  I also checked the pronounciation. I was convinced it was suppose to sound French but no it's pronounced like the cough drop.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After many months of dealing with other stuff, I'm getting back to the White House. I had completely forgotten that I had a thread started on this house so I'm refreshing my memory on what had already been discussed about this house.  Here is its album to refresh your memories, too. 

PS the fireplace mentioned above was axed.