Frustrating afternoon hinging

shannonc60

I am having a hinge whinge. I spent a good part of this afternoon trying to put the doors onto my Sid Cooke Coxwolds kit. Not the interior/exterior person doors, but the opening parts of the walls. The hinges supplied with the kit were overkill, and so went and got some smaller ones from the hardware. I wanted to keep the hinges on the edges of the walls, rather than on the faces of the walls, so that parts of wallpaper weren't covered in giant brass hinges. Kept losing the tiny screws down the gaps of the decking (was doing this outside due to dust from cutting wiring grooves as well). Got the two small side doors hinged OK, but they don't shut really - they keep flinging open. Was hoping not to have to use the giant hooks to keep it closed. Maybe I will have to use small magnets. I used bigger hinges for the larger front door, which poke out the sides a bit too far and the front door pokes out front too far and also I will have to unscrew and relocate the hinges anyway as the bottom of the door scrapes on the plinth base thingo. Grrrrr......

So sorry for the rant everyone. Does anyone have a really good, fool proof method for hinging large doors like these? Hinging goes in my too hard basket with electrics......

Other than countersinking the leaves of a piano hinge and hunting for flathead screws and wallpapering over the ensuing mss I an't help, as I've not built a front-opening house, nor really want to.  I do think using magnets to close is a better idea than large hooks.  I have seen wee brass flat hooks for jewelry boxes, but don't know that they'd do the trick for dollhouse walls.

One side of each hinge is countersunk, and I really should try doing the other side but my skills and patience don't extend that far. I really think I will need to do something better for the front door though, eg countersink them. I think I will use magnets to keep the doors closed as I've seen some tiny ones on Ebay and want them for something else. 

I had a similarly frustrating experience hinging my Queen Anne Rowhouse. We countersunk them (my dad helped) and it was really hard to make them look neat. If I had it to do over again I probably would have put them on the surface of the door and just lived with them being visible. In fact, I plan to do that with my Little Belle and I bought some pretty Victorian style hinges so they will be nice to look at.

• Like 1

Nice hinges Emily. I guess it's a catch 2 really. I think if it hadn't already had the rebates for the hinges, I would have used only magnets. I guess if you're a really good woodworker, there are probably other ways of doing it. If I could put the hinge plates on the outside of the dollhouse only, then I could cover them with paperclay (or other cladding).