The Healing Power of Miniatures

Risotto

My aunt had worked on her first miniature right along with me as we both built beach cottages this fall.  She gave hers to her daughter-in-law who is principal of an alternative high school.  Many of her students are severely challenged with mental health and behavioral issues.  Her daughter-in-law put her beach cottage into her office and she shared the following story with me today:

"The beach house saved me today!! I had a VERY angry large young man in my office. After the first chair was thrown it was clear I either was going to have to restrain him or distract him! So distraction it was cause he's 6'2" 320lbs 
He was enthralled with the beach house!!!! We looked at it for 30 mins and talked and then I worked my magic, figured out his problem and eventually got him back to class!!!! All thanks to the mini beach house!!!
He loved all the details and there were so many! I just kept pointing them out and then he would get excited when he found one I had not noticed. Mom left the directions with me so I got those out for him to look at and we talked about putting it together and the patience. I did almost cry when he said..."someone must really love you, to take so much time to do that". 
It was a great way to get his mind off of his anger and buy me some time to talk him down. Before long and before he realized it he was telling me why he was mad and helping to problem solve.  The last time this kid was this angry it took 5 people, 3 of whom are huge guys that lift weights and such to restrain him! I would not have stood a chance to restrain him, and didn't even have to because the beach house was fascinating and calming!"

The attached pictures show my beach cottage, my aunt's looks just like mine...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

My 40+ year old "baby" boy, who has severe mental illness, uses Legos to create marvelous wee sci-fi machines and settings.  The violence and rage are still there, but he directs it into his creations.  When he spends his month with us twice a year he is surrounded by my little world.  I have always found any hobby involving creation, imagination and fantasy to be extremely healing to the mind.  I suppose it help get those out of balance neurotransmitters in the brain to straighten up and fly right.

• Like 5

I've heard of others who have been salvaged by miniatures. So great to hear these stories and to know we are involved in a hobby that is fun and can be very therapeutic. I think of Anne from New York who builds dh's for children battling cancer. She's on #394 now. We'll probably never know how many little ones have been helped by the magic of dollhouses as they face horrible battles in their real world. 

There was a lady on Facebook for awhile, way back when the HBS was about the only mini forum there, who told us she had returned from Iraq with PTSD syndrome - really bad. She got involved in miniatures and the stress in her mind eased. She went back to the doctor, who wanted to prescribe more strong medicine, and the lady said she didn't want any more meds - she had her own cure. The doctor was so impressed she asked if the lady would come speak to a group of the patients! 

• Like 2