Holiday themed projects

fov

Is anyone working on anything special for the holidays this year? Last year I did a Christmas roombox in a breadbox and had a lot of fun with it. I'm planning to cross stitch a little Santa thing to go on the bare wall over the table and am just finishing up my current stitching project, so I hope to bang that out in December.

In a couple of weeks my parents are coming to visit and my mom and I are going to do faux gingerbread houses out of Michaels puzzle houses. I'm building the houses now so they'll be ready when she gets here. I got a ton of fake candy at Michaels last week for 40% off. Here's the progress so far (more pics on my blog):

gingerbread14.jpg

gingerbread15.jpg

In the same area as the fake candy (a lot of which are ornaments), there were some nice Christmas minis. I picked up a few things to add to my Christmas roombox. The tin of chocolates, wrapped presents, and cookies on the rectangular tray (not the gingerbread men) are all Michaels minis... they were each only ~$3 before the discount.

breadbox168.jpg

breadbox169.jpg

There was also a really cute gingerbread prep board with a rolling pin, rolled-out dough, and cookies cut out of the dough. I didn't get that because I already have something similar in my roombox that I bought last year off Etsy (but mine cost a lot more!)

If others are working on holiday themed projects, maybe we can use this thread for pictures and status updates?

• Like 2

Our NAME club is having our annual holiday party on Wednesday. We are having a grab bag gift exchange. Although it's not really a Christmas theme, I'm currently making the little gift bags to insert the mini French buildings I am also in the process of making out of resin.

That's a Hallmark ornament: http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2003-Delicious-Christmas_p_6539.html

It's a tad large for 1" scale but the roombox has a tall ceiling so it works. When I used the same ornament in the McKinley I removed the lowest basket.

Sable, are those the same resin houses you posted about in your NAME Day thread? I bet your club will love the gift.

I LOVE holiday mini projects! The craft stores have a better selection of mini's this time of year, and w/ all the ornaments for sale in every store, I always find some good ones to use in my dh's.

Here's the holiday projects I'm currently working on:

I had a wooden CD organizer that looks like a house. I was going to make it a fairy house, but it just wasn't progressing. Now it's a Christmas Mouse House.

I recently rescued Santa's House from my parents' basement, and did some repairs to it. I also added a few new items from the Michael's holiday mini's collection.

And I have a house based on A Christmas Story that I'm working on as well. 

Those gift bags are adorable!

Kelly I saw your witch house picture the other day, looking forward to more!

I've added texture to one of the gingerbread puzzle houses. I've been reading on Gina's blog about the gingerbread house she made from a Buttercup. She added stucco mix to paint for the texture. I didn't have any of that so I used sanded grout, which I think has basically the same effect... it sure looks like stucco, anyway! I don't think what I ended up with is really a cookie-like texture, but it doesn't look like painted wood anymore, so I can live with it. This is supposed to be a quick project so I'm not getting too hung up on it.

gingerbread23.jpg

gingerbread25.jpg

Fov the color is great. I'm looking forward to the decor.  I like using sanded grout, I use it a lot. Did you apply it before assembly?  If not,  it must have been a bear to get into all the corners so evenly. I've only used it on flat surfaces. Looks great.

Nope, I did it after assembly. I haven't done the inside yet, that will be harder than the outside but also harder to see, so I think I can be a bit sloppy with it.

The color is named "Spiced Gingerbread." It's a Glidden paint sample from HomeDepot.com (free shipping!)

I never really was one for doing holiday themed projects, but the other year my mini club did a year-long Christmas Break-Away Gift Box project, which I managed to never finish.  I was feeling a bit stressed out the other day and decided that I was so stressed because I haven't been doing minis!  Therefore I decided to finish my Christmas Box!  :D

During lunch today I stained a Chrysanbon kit Duxbury chair for it, and somewhere I have a teacart kit that needs finished as well...  I will try and post some pics later.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents visited this weekend and my mom and I decorated the gingerbread houses. They're not quite finished yet, but here are some pictures we took before she left. She got hers home on the airplane as a carry-on. I'll finish mine up in the near future.

I have a bunch of pictures of the process that I'll post on my blog, but for now here's some eye candy. My mom's is the one on the left and mine is the one on the right.

finished-houses1.jpg

We pretty much depleted the candy and Michaels is completely sold out, so I'm not sure what I'll do on my roof. I might just add "snow" like my mom did on her front porch. The frosting is spackle piped through a pastry bag and the snow is a product called Snow Tex that I got at Michaels (which is basically the same as spackle but with a gritty texture).

finished-houses3.jpg

She went a little nuts with the frosting! She did all the piping on both houses... she makes real gingerbread houses every year so she's good at it.

finished-houses2.jpg

I want to find some little wreaths for the double front door on mine... I actually think I have two that are just the right size but don't know where they are. I also need something to go over the door but that might need to wait until next year since Michaels is all sold out of the supplies. I'm also going to add Snow-Tex to the porch and might try adding some fancy frosting around the base of my house.

finished-houses4.jpg

• Like 3

Those houses came out beautiful Emily. I've been so busy building houses and furniture for the grandchildren that I haven't even had time to send out Christmas cards, nevermind decorate for Christmas, but maybe next year. I really think I need a faux gingerbread house!

Those turned out amazing! Is the icing on the gingerbread houses real icing? I'd love to make one of those sometime, but with the mice that tend to inhabit my house, I'd have to find a good substitute for the icing- otherwise it wouldn't last. This year, they made a nest in one of the faux xmas trees that was in storage- yuck! 

21 minutes ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Those turned out amazing! Is the icing on the gingerbread houses real icing? I'd love to make one of those sometime, but with the mice that tend to inhabit my house, I'd have to find a good substitute for the icing- otherwise it wouldn't last. This year, they made a nest in one of the faux xmas trees that was in storage- yuck! 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎03‎:‎09‎, fov said:

,,,The frosting is spackle piped through a pastry bag...

• Like 1