I received this dollhouse some time ago and put it away.  I got it out again to get started on it. I retired just recently and i can use all the help i can get. Ex: do i need to condition the wood first, what should i start with first. they have directions but sometimes they are hard to follow?  Thanks.  Oh by the way my name is chris. :O)

Chris, you might take a few minutes to introduce yourself in the Newcomers' Forum.  Meanwhile, when I open the box I carefully remove the acetate sheets of door and window inserts and place them between the pages of the Warm-Up sheet.  Then I read through the instructions.  Then I hold the schematics sheet in one hand and read through the instructions again to see where the parts are.  Then I lay the instructions on top of the Warm-Up sheet and take a dark pencil or black marker and mark over the number on each plywood sheet, laying the sheets in numerical order so they are easier to find; I also compare each plywood sheet to its schematic counterpart.  Then I lay the schematics sheet, the instructions and the Warm-Up sheet on top of the plywood sheets and close the box and ask myself what on earth have I let myself in for.  I then go grab my rolls of masking or painters' tape, utility knife and sanding block with fresh sandpaper and begin.  I find that it helps first to put the shell together with the masking or painters' tape;  this helps me to figure out the instructions  (sometimes I wind up building the kit in a different order from the instructions, based on what the house tells me it wants during this dry fit) and to see what the house will look like when it's glued together, as well as which areas (like stairwells) will be impossible to access for decorating after I've started gluing.  Also, during the dry fit is when I sand and/or whittle on the tabs & slots for a more perfect fit.  When it's in dry fit is when the house & I decide what will be stained and what will be primed for either wallpaper or paint; and if I ever electrify a build I can also figure wiring layout at this time.

Hi, Chris!   Welcome to the forum!   I was so fortunate to discover this forum when I first began my Garfield and all of the members have such great suggestions.   If you get a chance take a look at my gallery as it shows much of my progress on my build.  There are many others who have built the Garfield and each one is very unique.   My user name is Creamcheese so take a peek at my Garfield and hope it will give you some ideas and help.

Have fun with your Garfield; I know you will and congratulations on your recent retirement too.   And it is so true that our dollhouses do beckon us and tell us what they want!!!!!

Susan