Painting, Good or Bad?

netosha

Hello Everyone, 

I have had a wooden doll house for 20 years and it has never been painted. It is all original. Would it hurt the value to paint it? I have uploaded a picture so you can see it. I really want to do grey with white trim and black for the decorative pieces. I am also not sure what type of paint to use if I do decide to jump in. 

dollhouse.JPG

What a lovely house!

Well, the value of a house is what you make of it. I know I have some houses that are worth everything to me...I won't be parting with them in this life (not intentionally at least..finger's crossed no dollhouse damaging earthquake in the future). So I say ENJOY THAT HOUSE - PAINT IT and love it and make it what you want it to be. It is a reflection of YOU.

As for market value - my personal opinion as a buyer of pre-made houses (I love mini-house hunting), is that I prefer to buy houses that are finished and have good paint jobs and good floors...all that mini-sweat and equity put in by someone else. When I see houses unfinished or with paint jobs that need work...I see a lower price/bargain to be made. It isn't a competitve market - and it is definitely a buyer's market where I am. However, when I see a house that is done beautifully...as a collector I know how much work went into it, and I stop bargain hunting and I just want the house. Want want want. But that is rare...this isn't a hobby to make money from. It is definitely one of great joy if you have the mini-loving gene, tho. Joy is priceless.

Paint it and show us!

Some pics of nicely painted simple San Frans:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b2/3c/79/b23c790774266522b9bac637c5cd5f93.jpg

Even in simple white, I think it is a lovely looking exterior:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/91/a9/c0/91a9c0af67b649879a50a1fe14e67c8c.jpg

• Like 3

OH MY GOSH! I love the pictures of the ones you showed me! I am convinced to paint now. I was worried I would ruin the house. I am also glad that you know the style doll house. I was unsure what it was. I hope to find or replicate the pieces that are missing. It had moved quite a lot and has some damaged parts. You have helped me a lot and I will keep you updated!!!! I am even more excited now. 

You are going to need lots of painters tape. It is difficult to paint all the pieces and windows once they are applied. 

Are you sure the wood wasn't previously stained or varnished? If it was you are going to need an oil based primer first.

• Like 2

I am sure it does not have any stain or varnish. My father built it and said he had not done anything to it. I agree there is going to be a lot of painters tape and paper! Though I have nothing but time to do it.

Do you guys have any ideas on the type of paint? I have done some research and have noticed a discrepancy with actual house paint and crafters paints.  

Also, is it best to roll it or brush paint? 

I really want to make it perfect. Maybe I am overthinking it. 

In my opinion-Flat Craft brushes.  You can get an entire package of them for about $5 at Michael's. Apply a coat of primer first to avoid wood bleed through. Interior latex house paint for the base house, I'd use a Satin not Flat paint. Craft paints for the trim. 

• Like 1

Overthinking is part of the fun.

Will you prime it first? Acrylic of latex paint? Can you use Milk Paint for exteriors? I have no clue about painting.

I used interior house paint and primer for my Glencroft - matte finish for a house and I didn't have any problem. I used a regular small paint brush as well a craft sponge brush. The Glencroft's "stucco" exterior is forgiving. BUT, I think the pro's on this site will have much better information than me. 

This is something that requires overthinking for good results, I think.

• Like 1

I bought a San Franciscan dollhouse years ago - it was painted pink with white trim, and it was lovely. I gave it to a little girl who loved it. It had a great exterior and great floors - but interior was pretty much unfinished. I had loads of ideas - but no time. I think the trim and color combos can be very detailed - not just two colors. Anyway - I love this real-life house:

http://www.oldhousedreams.com/2012/06/04/1894-stick-victorian-portland-oregon/

I like the different colors on the 2 levels, and the trim is in multiple colors...fun stuff. Makes the details pop. Time to gather ideas! 

• Like 1

Personally, I use Benjamin Moore interior house paint for the exterior body color of all my houses.  I also have used it on my trim, but I've also used craft paint.  House paint can be too thick for delicate porch railing spindles. 

I have also found that I like the finish I get when using good quality artist's brushes.  They cost a bit more, but if taken care of will last a long time.   Sometimes for siding I will use one of those mini rollers.  I use the foam brushes only for staining.  All personal preference.

• Like 1

Your San Fransiscan is beautiful the way it is, but if you want to see a variety of painted ones, just google "Duracraft San Fransiscan", and you will see lots of them, in all sorts of color combinations.

I built the one for my granddaughter in pink, white and a victorian blue, and my second one in shades of pink, purple and white. (They are in my album).

My favorite paint to use for the outside of the houses are the Behr samples at Home Depot. They come in a nice plastic jar with a screw off lid, and can be easily matched if you run out. I usually use satin finish. You will definitely want to apply it with brushes because of the clapboards.

For the trim, it would be fine to use any craft acrylics, like Folkart or Ceramcoat, since you won't need as much of those. Have fun with it, it's a beautiful house!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Netosha! 

What a beautiful house - I don't think you should do anything to it but pack it and ship it - I'll pm you my address............. hahahaha

On a more serious note though - I have a whole collection of paint chips - sometimes it helps taping them on the exterior and leave them throughout the day - different light = different effect on color. Latex paint is pretty much easy to use - the brand is a matter of personal preference. If you decide to leave some parts like the gable trims and such in natural wood - I would wax it. That way you can clean up spills easy enough. I would start with the windows, doors and frames first, and then move on to the larger surfaces. Then again, you could do wall by wall. If I were you I would decide what you want the house to look like: Realistic? that's usually more forgiving because you would add shading, washes and patina on top of the base paint. If you want it clean-cut - more "dollhouse"-like - you need to work more exact - get blue tape.

Whatever you do though - enjoy!

• Like 2

Yes...while I love the idea of painting it (as you have always wanted to), there is something said for leaving as it is..and BUYING ANOTHER ONE to paint as you like! Then you get everything! :-) Welcome back to the world of minis!

Seriously tho - this was a popular house kit and I often see them on Craigslist built yet unfinished and for reasonable prices. You could totally get a duplicate. Or get a new house altogether and keep this one the way your dad made it.

• Like 3

Netosha, you will have the devil's own time of it trying to paint the interior of that third floor tower room.  Dura-Craft went out of business several years ago, shortly after they stopped making their kits in wood and used MDF (medium density fiberboard) instead.  There are three versions of the San Franciscan: the SF500 (I believe the oldest version), the SF555 (your; it was the very first dollhouse kit I ever built and that third floor tower room was a bear to decorate!) and the SF558, the MDF version. 

I would consider staining what can be stained.  Unless you have a good, careful way to remove those doors and windows, or extremely tiny, flexible hands and fingers, painting it might be quite an undertaking.  I also decorated the walls before installing the stairs.  Oh, and the eternal walls are built up in section of tongue-and-groove milled-in plywood, so you might want to use spackle or drywall mud to fill those "seams" and sand them smooth and flat before priming and painting or wallpapering.

As for paint, I prime with a regular flat white interior latex house paint, and I paint with regular interior latex house paint, using a 1" flat paintbrush; the paint is soap & water clean up.  Gesso is also nice to prime with.  Also, remember that you can paint over stain but trying to stain something that has been painted leaves a lot to be desired.  You want to be very careful with glue if you plan to stain, as glue forms a barrier; use a glue you can wipe up with a damp cloth if you plan to use stain.  I apply stain with a rag of old teeshirt.

• Like 1

I agree with the interior decorating issues! The house now has 20 year old wall paper. It has some in the top floor room. The tower section is bare. The stairs are horribly inaccessible. I have a hard time cleaning them. I will post a photo of the interior later! There are so many choices and ideas!! Thank you for the advice. 

• Like 1

If you can gently loosen the stairs, etc, for removal, it will make your job MUCH easier.  Dampening old wallpaper with a solution of white vinegar and water will soften a lot of old glues and pastes to make the job of stripping it off easier, especially if the walls beneath were first primed..  Good luck.

• Like 1

You could possibly fake or retro-fit some wainscot/paneling around the stairways to make repapering easier. That is what I thought I'd do with my San Fran. But then I gave it away to deserving child who turned it into a seaside rental (she put a sign out that said "rooms to let" - so cute!) - anyway, paneling might make it easier to avoid those tricky stairs.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cd/90/dc/cd90dcd30aae75a6d980b7e01c4df0b7.jpg

• Like 1

If it were me, i would go to the paint department in Lowes or Home Depot and look at their "oops" paints to get some ideas and possibly find some perfect colors. That way you have it in quantity in case you run out or need to add some repairs further on down the road.

• Like 1

I plan on going to home depot and getting some supplies! The oops paints sound like a bargain. I spent hours last night on pinterest, etsy and ebay looking and dreaming. I even saved some items in my shopping cart ;) I am about to take some photos of the interior for you all to see. 

• Like 1

I can't wait to see them! You can create an album, because you have enough posts, so that would probably the best thing for you to do. That way you will have all your photos in one place, and you can show how your house progresses as you work on it.

While you are at home depot, check out their Behr paint samples.

Duh, I see you already have an album, but nothing is in it yet, so you must have figured it out!

• Like 1