Any tips or advice before I start Siding?

Jitchiwah

I'm going to be applying the siding to my little cottage over Christmas, but have never done this before...

So before I jump right in head first, does anyone have any tips or tricks to share on best type of glue, how to apply, etc. I want to avoid buckling and warping.

im using milled siding sheets.

Any non-water based glue should do. I use Quik Grip in a green and yellow tube. I'm glad your doing the sheets. Apply weight if you can otherwise use painters tape to keep it in place until dry.  Especially on the butting seams.

Are you going to paint or stain them?

I like the sheets. I use E6000 glue. If you use it be sure to have plenty of ventilation. 

I like to paint my siding first so that I get thorough coverage especially on the underside edge of the clapboard strips, but I have also painted after attaching it to the structure. I've also stained siding (for 3 Bears) and if you are planning to stain, I suggest you do it first and just be sure it's thoroughly dry before applying.

I use masking or painters tape, binder clips, clamps, rubber bands, and/or weights...whatever gets the job done holding the sheet in place while the glue sets. If you use binder clips or clamps, use a piece of scrap reversed against the clapboard between your clamp and the wood to avoid marking or imprinting the siding.

Take your time, dry fit all your pieces first, and you'll end up with a really nice even result. :) Oh, and I dry fit all of my pieces onto the structure first, then as I remove them I label them on the underside.

Good luck!

Edited by Dalesq

What do you folks use to cut the pieces?  I kinda lack some good cutting tools at the moment, so I use the larger size X-acto knife.  With a metal ruler as a guide, I cut from the bottom of the sheet upwards.  I found that if I cut top to bottom I tended to crack and chip out the cut on the last row of siding...and 'magic' words would have to be used.  So cutting the opposite direction provides a nice clean cut for me.   :)  (and no 'magic' words!)

I am currently using the milled wood siding sheets on a room box.  I cannot use the solvent glues that others recommend because I'm working in my dining room and don't want the harmful fumes in my home.  

Since I am using tacky glue and it is water based, I began by priming both sides of the siding sheets to prevent warping.  Then I cut the sheets to length using a utility knife with a metal ruler as a guide.  After I sanded the back of the first siding sheet, I applied numerous dots of tacky glue to it. When I had the siding sheet positioned correctly, I held it in place with masking tape both vertically and horizontally, then weighted it down with books.  Since the rest of the siding sheets will interlock with it, I wanted to make sure the first sheet wouldn't shift when I applied the rest of the siding, so I left it to dry overnight.  The next day, I installed the rest of the sheets on that side of the room box.  I taped, weighted them down and let them dry overnight.  

This system is working well for me.

• Like 1