Garfield for Christmas!

miaowmiaow

11 hours ago, miaowmiaow said:

...Where do I even start?!

Do a search for "getting started" topics.  When I open the box I remove the Warm Up sheet and the acetate insert sheets for the doors and windows, which I slip between the pages of the Warm Up sheet and lay it beside the box.  Next I remove the instruction and read through them and lay them on top of the Warm Up sheet.  Next I remove the schematics sheet and lay it on top of the paper pile.  Next, with a dark pencil or sharpie marker, I go through the stacks of plywood sheets and darken the numeral on each one and lay them in the box lid in numerical order.  Then I pick the pile of plywood up and lay it back in the box bottom.  Sometimes at this point I jut put the papers back on top of the wood and close the box and go eat chocolate or have a stiff drink.

The next thing I do is reread the instructions sheet while holding the schematics sheet, so I can locate and identify the pieces being talked about.

When I'm ready to start I collect my masking or painter's tape, sanding block and utility knife and start the dry fit.  The reasons I dry fit first are first, so I can sand and/or shave the tabs & slots for  more perfect fit; then to see if I understand the instructions; then to see what the house looks like and to let it tell me what it ants and how it wants to look; and last, to see which areas I shall have to go ahead with decorating before assembly with glue, like stairwells.  There is no time limit on building a dollhouse kit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Sometimes at this point I jut put the papers back on top of the wood and close the box and go eat chocolate or have a stiff drink.

Oh, yes!!!   I'll never forget how I felt when I opened my first dollhouse kit and saw ALL THOSE PIECES!!!   

I've said many times, the reason there are so many open, but un-built kits available is that people open the box, look at the hundreds of little pieces, start to read the instructions, then just put it all back in the box and shove it in a closet because they think they can't do it. Every single kit house, no matter who builds it or how big or complicated it is, is built one piece at a time.

Congratulations on the Garfield! It's a lovely house, and I'm sure you're going to have a blast with it!

Do not fear the wood, pet it (with sandpaper) and sniff it and PLAY with it!  Sooner or later it will talk to you and tell you what it wants, and as you gain skill it will even tell you how to give/ make it what it wants.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Do not fear the wood, pet it (with sandpaper) and sniff it and PLAY with it!  Sooner or later it will talk to you and tell you what it wants, and as you gain skill it will even tell you how to give/ make it what it wants.

SNIFF it?! Lol. Maybe that's why we all hear houses talking to us.. Too much time spent sniffing wood and glues!

As to the house... a wise old teacher of mine once used this little analogy - "how do you eat an elephant?!". The answer being a little bit at a time. You won't manage it in one sitting so you just start with one little manageable chunk, and work your way through it.

Two questions: when people say to dry-fit first, do they mean dry-fit the ENTIRE house, or just each join one at a time before you glue it? Also, favorite glue for wooden house construction? I have a bottle of Elmer's wood glue.

I also saw somewhere online someone recommending that the pieces be primed before construction. What's the consensus on that? I see the utility in priming everything flat so you're not trying to get into hard-to-reach corners later, but I worry about primer drying in the slots & messing up the fit.

Some people advocate dry fitting sections of a large house as you build.  My personal preference is to dry fit the whole thing 1)  to see that I understand the instruction and if they will work for me in that order, 2) to locate those areas I will need to decorate before gluing up (stairwells, fireboxes, etc) and 3) to see it altogether to let it tell me what it wants to look like, what room arrangements it wants, and so forth.  I don't prime before construction.  I stain what it wants stained and then decorate from the ground up, floor by floor. I install doors and windows LAST, and porches and balcony trims after that.

I've just got my Garfield too and I dry fitted or taped the foundation first (or several times, if I'm honest) and then I sanded. A lot. Before even reaching for the glue. It took me a few days before I even decided to proceed with glue. 

Now I have the foundation glued and sanded and have been working on the stairs.