My First Dollhouse Build...The Garfield!

Morgan

I will have to invest in some better supplies next time around!  As for now the foundation will be done hopefully (if my second glue job holds) then I can move onto the next steps!  I got baulisters and railings ordered for my stairs so I hope those come in by the time I'm moving onto that step (no pun intended).

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update as I have gotten a few things done, I'll have some pictures to put up tomorrow.  I was extremely happy when I finished gluing the foundation that it didnt need  much work to get level.  I've been working on the stairs, removing the spindles that came with the kit took more effort than I was expecting mostly because I had to sand everything level then also fill in the slots on the steps that were there to attach to the built in spindles.  I got the risers and steps level and glued today, will probably start on the second floor set of stairs tomorrow.  Hoping it will go quicker the second time around since I've got a system now!

Always appreciate the ideas Holly, that sounds so much simpler than filling them all with spackle then sanding which took me all day yesterday to complete.  Should I drill a hole for the balusters so they sit down in the step?  I was initially planning on just gluing them on top of the steps but am now thinking that will be really hard to clamp.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Always appreciate the ideas Holly, that sounds so much simpler than filling them all with spackle then sanding which took me all day yesterday to complete.  Should I drill a hole for the balusters so they sit down in the step?  I was initially planning on just gluing them on top of the steps but am now thinking that will be really hard to clamp.

Either that or tap a pin into the bottom of each baluster spindle and cut the remaining pin to about 1/4".  Then you just need to drill a wee hole for the pin with a pin vise and glue the pin and the bottom of the baluster to the side of the tread once the stairway's together.  I used the turned toothpicks for balusters in my 1:24 builds, so I did the holes a tad bigger and glued the points of the toothpicks into the holes.  I firmly believe in KISS.

I think I prefer the pin option, it sounds a lot less time consuming.  I finished my first set of stairs and got a good start gluing the second set.  I'm going to start posting my pictures in my album from here on out so that's where you can check my progress!

I'm having trouble uploading pictures right now...not sure what exactly the issue is but every time I try to add them it gets to the final stage of saving the photos then it just never completes...I'll try again later/tomorrow I guess!

• 3 months later...

I want to wish anyone luck in starting with Garfield.  I have only built 30 dollhouses.  This includes the Pierce, Beacon Hill, Garfield and non-Greenleaf  Queen Anne II.  This being said I believe the Garfield was the toughest house I have dealt with.  The roof is a nightmare for one person.  So again happy building.  I am starting to build the third house that was a starter and was not finished by a new purchaser and this was mainly from frustration.  Please try a smaller kit.  I am not a doom and gloomer and possibly very wrong but if you do have problems do not give up start with a small house and come back to the Garfield.

I never seem to get everything said the first time around.  When I say a small doll house, if you are going to put the wood beams in the house I would not recommend the Glencroft (sp),  Please do not misunderstand I do not mean to rain on your parade(it seems I have) I just do not want to see a person as avid as you about building give up because you have chose the wrong kit.  I see your foundation and it looks excellent, it is the tower and fitting the roof that concerns me.  Good luck.

Milton, you really need to introduce yourself to all of us, over in the Newcomers' Forum; with 30 builds under your belt your experience will be most welcome.  There re quite a few of us who wept our way through large house first builds and went on to continue building.  Morgan already knows to ask all the questions she needs to, and I'm sure that the nice man in her avatar will help her with the parts that need extra hands :D

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan, you can do this.  I am a first time builder as well and like you I fell in love with the Garfield dollhouse and jumped in with both feet.  I started mine in December 2014.  I am now getting ready to start the second floor.  Taking your time and not rushing it is key.  When you get frustrated just step back and walk away for  awhile.  Don't sweat your mistakes, embrace them and say "hey I meant to do that."  Your mistakes and success is what will make your dollhouse unique and special.  I'm looking forward to following your progress.   I have a blog if you would like to see what I have done with my house so far.  it's at www.jdsdollhouse.com.  I love getting feed back and suggestions.

Hey guys, been a while since I checked in...been busy planning my move.  So anyways, I had to break down my dry fit last week which was pretty sad considering it felt like back peddling, but I'm hoping it'll make the second assembly smoother having a vision of how everything fits together.  I did take time to mark all the walls while I had the dry fit together so I can possibly work on some wallpapering while I wait to move to a bigger place that has room for actual assembly. 

To kind of give an update on my moving situation, my husband moved down to Tucson, AZ last week Wednesday.  Everything went in the moving truck besides my foundation and the remainder of the unassembled DH pieces (I trust my husband but one of those things where if something goes wrong I only have myself to blame).  I'm actually heading down myself tomorrow, spending today at work for my last day then heading out tomorrow morning.  We ended up having to get a temporary 6 month lease in a 1 bedroom apt while we sort out our permanent living situation, whether it be starting a house build or renting longer in a bigger place while we get everything arranged for our build. 

So I'm pretty much stuck not being able to make much more progress on my build for at least another 6 months :cry:.  In the mean time, Tucson has an awesome dollhouse museum that I am for sure going to check out and post some photos here for everyone else to see!  One thing I am greatly looking forward to!