Hi from Tasmania, Australia

amandaj

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now but thought I should introduce myself. I'm Amanda, I live with my family in Tasmania. I had a dollhouse as a young girl that was built for me by my grandparents - a five room flat roof house which you played with from a bird's-eye perspective after lifting off the roof/top. I loved it very much - furniture was all handmade using matchboxes, it had carpet and wallpaper.

My daughters both had dollhouses, but more for Barbies than the traditional 1:12 scale. I then collected a 'part work' to build a dollhouse which I never got around to. I still have most of the furniture and will be using it finally when my LAUREL and oops just bought an ORCHID as well on ebay! Postage times are killing me at the moment.

I recently also bought a handmade dollhouse which I have been refurbishing while I wait for the others to arrive. It has been lots of fun learning how to wallpaper and lay floors. This one is huge and will probably go to my niece.

I am enjoying ogling all the beautiful pictures and dreaming of my first builds. Thank you for reading, look forward to getting to know you all.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome! Don't worry too much about learning everything before you build. I find that some of my best tricks I've learned with the wood in my hand! I'm just finishing my Orchid, and had so much fun with it! I'd love to build another, but I have a few other kits that are next in line.

9 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Hello and welcome! Don't worry too much about learning everything before you build. I find that some of my best tricks I've learned with the wood in my hand! I'm just finishing my Orchid, and had so much fun with it! I'd love to build another, but I have a few other kits that are next in line.

I've started my house! The Laurel arrived today, finally, and I've been sanding and painting for hours. I've chosen my colour scheme and am more excited than ever! I've got some great ideas for this house, and hope that it comes somewhere near the amazing mini buildings shared on this forum.

The house doesn't look like my grandparents' house, but I have an idea to fill it with things that remind me of them. Little bits and pieces inside, and the general quirky feel of their house. It's where I go in my dreams :)

• 3 weeks later...