Frustrated with Garfield subfloor

Devildog

Made the decision to have Santa bring the garfield for my 10 year old. I am noa having issues even getting the subfloor installed due to pieces not seeming to fit properly. Is their any help I could get. My daughter would greatly appreciate it. 

Feeling a little better right now. I mean affixing the floor to the subfloor right now and feeling a little more confident and slightly less overwhelmed. I have come across one foundation piece that is actually an 1/8 th inch short I'm hoping I can fill it in with wood putty???

Congratulations on the Garfield. It is probably the most challenging house kit out there. I started with that one too, many, many years ago. Go slow and take frequent breaks, along with dry fitting over and over again. Things can appear to not fit but, lo and behold, the next moment (or day or week), voila, it works.

The two most important things to consider with building the Garfield, are 1. whether it will fit through your doorways and stairwells (measure super carefully - some folks have found this out too late - it is huge!!), and 2. decorate and wire all areas that will not be accessible once the stairs and walls are in place. (if you change the layout, that might not apply, but better safe than sorry).

Good luck and have fun on the journey.

Chris:

While I haven't built the Garfield, I have found that every time I open a kit and see the directions, the schematics, the sheets of wood with ALL the parts on them, I get overwhelmed and there is that little moment when I think, "I will never be able to make sense of this!" Slowly, one piece at a time, a few "magic" words, as Holly calls them, and things start to sort out. Also, lots of questions to the people on the forum, who are amazing. It's okay to make a mistake and learn how to fix it - that is part of the process. So, take a deep breath, plunge in and enjoy the chaos of the build!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, what Amy said. Even when you get halfway through, there will be some piece or part that you struggle with, and think you can't do it. Take your time, try not to work on it when you're tired or rushed, and be prepared to take a lot of breaks.

Sometimes, if a piece really doesn't fit, or there's some weird gap, double check that you really do have the right piece, and it's not upside down or backwards.  

The Garfield is a great big house!