Ashley Victorian by Laserdollhouses

Mike and Robin

This our latest build.  Its a slot and tab construction so as soon as it arrived 2 years ago we did a dry build.  Did not touch it until a couple of weeks ago when we decided to complete the project.  I'll post more pictures as we make progress.  So far we have decided to do Banana Cream exterior wall and Cherry Jubillee trim with slate grey tiles.

Not using real slate tiles although that sounds like a great idea.  We are just painting the wooding shakes provided by the manufacturer.

We are beginners and unfortunately are not true artisans but we are learning quickly.  We are getting good at following kit instructions and starting to add our own creative touches. This is #2 for us and will be our first to have lighting. That's going to be a new adventure.   Maybe #3 will be a true kit bash.  Each one will be a new challenge.

The house you see in the background was a rescue. Learned a lot by repainting, repairing doors, replacing floors etc.

We've started painting.  The one story tower is going to get its roof raised and the second floor deck will wrap around.  We have asked the manufacturer to provide us with another set of railings for the upper deck. Just have to move the roof line up.  The roof of the ground floor deck is already in place to be the floor of  the second floor deck. Just have to move the roof lines up.  There is a sample of the grey slate look roof in place but not glued.

Second photo shows the roof removed ready to take the new deck

Ashley small 1.jpg

DSCF7804.JPG

Because a portion of your roof's slope is not as steep as the rest of the house, you may run into a problem where the first row's pitch is not the same as the higher rows. In other words, Row two will not lay flat with row one. You will need to adjust for this by placing half tiles under the first row in order to set the pitch for the rest of the rows. If you have no idea what I'm referring to, let me know and I will post a picture.

Thanks for the input Sable. We are always appreciative of another set of eyes catching things we might miss.   I think you are talking about the "slate tiles". I went down and took a look.  You are right,  rows two and above lay flat but that first row need a little more height for the second row to lay flat. Hmmmmm. Would the problem be solved with a thin strip of trim along the roof edge painted grey. Not sure how to get a half tile.  I'm going to check to see if this is the same on all sections regardless of pitch (slope?) of the roof.

Never noticed this issue laying individual shingles on the Duracraft house.

(that's our Garfield in the background. The cause of our hobby getting out of control.  We purchased it fully built and furnished for $300.  It is need of some TLC. Its probably 15 years old. We have had it for about 6 years.)

I will be starting an Album of this build as its better having the photos there.

Is it better to have the construction discussion on this forum or does it work to make comments on the album pics.  No experience doing this before.

Robin and I have got our final design ideas in place.  For example there will be a new room added where the lower deck was. We will have plenty of wall material available as we are replacing some interior walls and not using others. More on that later.

There will also be a third floor opening with French doors and a small balcony in the front below the highest roof line.

Also doing some window modifications. Once again more on that as we go.

For now I'm doing as much external painting a I can while the house is standing. Also having to sand off much of the Laser burn on the edges of windows, floors and roof lines.

Please jump in with observations, ideas etc.

Mike

11 hours ago, kathi17 said:

It's nice to have some comments with your album photos for people who see it there, but I like it when someone continues a thread like this in case I miss the uploads.

Agreed. Please continue discussion in this thread. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will try and add photos to our album this week.

We received the additional walls, windows and doors from Laser Dollshouse Design.  Leonard is a really nice guy to deal with and sent us a generous package of parts.  We will be able to have doors between rooms (which the original did not have).  We will be adding the extra bathroom and mud room on the side and extending the second floor deck along the side above the mudroom.  The main room on the top floor has a large uninteresting exterior wall over the front porch so we hope to add French doors  (just purchased) and a small balcony.We may have enough wood to add a garage on carport on the opposite end.  I have a 1:12 scale original British Mini kit by Tamiya on the work bench which would look nice in the garage..

The whole house has be taken down to the foundation soon for interior finishing and gluing.  The current table is an old office desk fitted with castors. We will be buying a sheet of 1/2 inch ply to put under the house to offset the slight sag in the desk. It will extend the length of the building base to accommodate the extra extension on both sides and a small garden area.

Painting is ongoing, one dormer has just about been completed inside and out and window installed.  Second identical dormer is being painted and will be completed this week I hope. Using a Dremel sander to take off the laser burn on the outside edge of windows and walls so that the paint gives a better cover.

To give some idea of the work, there are 25 windows in the kit, each with interior and exterior frames to be prepped and painted.  Cannot paint the interior frames until we know the color schemes of each room but the exterior windows are all the same color. We are taking out the window panes on the interior frames.  The double windows looked odd. You will see what I mean in the photos.

Wiring kit arrived last week. That will be a challenge.

Oh, almost forgot. We are removing the chimney.  Its not a good design and the location is about the center of the top main room, not over the edge of a wall where you would expect a fireplace to be.

More later.

Mike

I can't wait to see the photos, it sounds like it's going to be beautiful!

I think there is supposed to be a way to delete photos, but I just went over to one of my albums and couldn't find any way to do it, so hopefully, someone else will be able to tell you how.

edit:I just saw your latest photos, it's looking great!

What brand of paint comes in those nice plastic cans? I used to be able to get those around here, but now all I can find are metal cans. I loved the plastic ones.

3 hours ago, Mike and Robin said:

The paint are pots of Sherwin Williams samples.  Only about $3 on special.

Thanks for letting me know. The ones used to get were, I think, Dutch Boy, and they had at least quarts in nice plastic containers with handles like yours. They were so much nicer than cans for using for crafts. They used to have them at Walmart when they mixed paint. I wish they still did.

I can get samples at Home Depot in plastic, but only in 8 ounce size. That's great for small things, but not enough to paint a whole house.