That tiny pierce kitchen...how did you do it?

Elsbeth

I started out with a 1920s theme...and my stalwart 1920s sink fit fine under the window (I like to put my sinks under windows), and it leaves 2 small spaces on each side (ok, fine) that would need a custom cabinet solution I guess. But then I tried to put a 1920s roper stove in and it's HUGE...it would be nigh impossible for someone to use the corner space between the sink and stove - stove blocks any access to would-be custom cabinets...in fact just with those two pieces it feels crowded. The bay window is nice, but not much can happen there outside of a small table. So I tried a cabinet sink on one side of the room (forget putting sink under window) and stove on other side making a sort of galley kitchen effect thanks to the small space...now there is small space between the two for...I guess something very shallow to fit in for storage of dishes? Anyway...I'd love to see photos of what you have done...that is one small kitchen! And I think the Beacon Hill is even smaller - how do people do it? I can't imagine getting an icebox in there. Oh - I also tried a smaller stove (a 1930s apartment type small gas stove - like this: http://quaintessential.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Caloric-stove-before.jpg) and it fit, but the house is large and I just know they need more stove for those big family dinners. :-)

I searched for photos in the gallery - but only got a handful. Love some of the modern solutions - but I am going for period. I prefer not to block windows or lose doors...any suggestions are great! I almost want to make the kitchen into butler's pantry and put an addition on. But I know I'd never finish it. I can dream, tho.

URLS of your pierce kitchen or URLs of real kitchen ideas are welcome. I'd like to go with a 1920s - or 1930's feel.

There is a reproduced FL Cracker kitchen in the FL State History Museum in Tallahassee with the sink under the window, the stove, a tiny table and board shelves on the walls (no cabinets) that is my inspiration for small kitchens.  I also make my kitchen fixtures nowadays.

This isn't going to help you, but since my Pierce is becoming an inn and restaurant, I'm adding a large kitchen adjacent to the original living room, which has become the restaurant dining room. The original dining room is now a bar room, and the original kitchen is a private dining room. The original foyer now houses the reception desk. And I bashed the stairs so they now descend along the outside wall. 

Click here and scroll down to see the (currently stalled) building progress. The new kitchen has yet to be built but you can see the swinging door that will lead to it.

Hi Jenn,

I was looking at all of the 1920's photos, and thought maybe this might work for you...

How about putting your sink and lower cabinet unit across the back opening, as if there were an invisible wall there? You could leave the back of the unit open, so that everyone gets a peek into the cabinets , but... have doors on the front of the cabinets facing into the room. If you didn't have upper cabinets above the sink, you could still see the fridge, stove table etc... 

I took out the wall between the kitchen and dining room and currently have a support post until I decide what to do.  I'm thinking of putting in an archway that will be further to the right reducing the size of the dining room but increasing the size of the kitchen.  The same could be done with a wall instead of an arch. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just saw this post.  This isn't the right era but I rearranged my kitchen very differently to most I have seen so thought I'd share with you. 

kitchen complete.jpg

Kitchen complete2.jpg

• Like 1