Newbie - UK member, just recvd the Greenleaf Pierce - any hints/tips /images

13thpixie

Hi

I'm a Dolls House newbie- just recvd the Greenleaf Pierce (in kit form) from Wisconsin (I'm in Portsmouth England, UK)- so looking forward to building/decorating/furnishing etc etc etc- so any hints/tips/images welcome... I'm sort of thinking of American Colonial style?

Trying to clear out my spare room of all my old crafting/jewellery making stuff, so that I can turn my desk around & clear some floor space to actually start building the Pierce! (at the moment, the box (huge!) is lying on the floor of our lounge...). There are so many talented miniaturists in the world, I would love to be able to recreate some of the unbelievably brilliant & realistic miniature stuff out there!

Many thanks

H

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Heather.  First of all, take a deep breath before you open the box.  As the Warm Up sheet will tell you, Don't Panic!  We who have built a Greenleaf kit or two recommend that you not use the hot glue that may be mentioned in the instructions.  A good carpenters wood glue works much better.  I also keep rolls of masking or painter's tape on hand, as I like to do a "dry fit" first, putting the kit together with the tape so I can sand or shave the tabs and slots to get a better fit, as well as to see how the kit goes together.  I can also see what areas will be impossible to fit my hand in to decorate after it's glued together, as well as to see which parts I will want to stain vs those I shall want to prime to paint or paper later.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome Heather!  I see that you have already started the dry fit and that's great, I got excited and skipped the dry fit on my vintage travel trailer, and I had a long evening of sanding dried glue off.  You will find this forum to be full of helpful and friendly people.  Welcome aboard and best of luck!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I start one from scratch, I will have to remember the dry fit idea.  When I got my Pierce, the person I got it from had already started building it and I am afraid to take it apart to start over.  I did manage to take the stairs out, though.  It will be much easier to put in the electrical and decorate.  As far as the stairs go, I would recommend cutting off the tabs on the bottom to make it easier to remove should you decide to change anything in the future.