House of Miniatures Info

kathi17

For those of you (like me) who can't throw them away old editions of miniature magazines often had instructions for bashing/refining HOM kits. I have to find some instructions for adding faux 2nd floor stairs for the Greenleaf Victorian house that hangs on the wall (what was it called?). Actually, there was a whole series of articles to fancy up that house.. I am having a senior moment...someone is shipping me the kit to build and I'll post the name when I have it.  I'll see if I can find some HOM bashing articles while I'm hunting for the dollhouse articles and post the editions they where in as I find them.

• Like 1

I keep seeing things about HOM on this board, as well as a lot of other sites, so I checked out ebay to see if there were any to be had, but I was so overwhelmed that I didn't want to bid on any.  I know price is subjective, what is "too high" for some may be "just fine" for others, but in general, what is a reasonable price to pay per piece?  I realize that an upholstered sofa would be more than a candle stand, but I've seen some lots of 15 kits going for $250, and I've seen lots of 11 kits going for $100, when the pieces are pretty much the same.  I'd like to buy some, just to have for the future, but since I have to be prudent with my funds, I want to make sure I'm not overpaying.  Thanks in advance.

Depends on what your looking to buy. Some kits are rare, like the breakfront or the highboys, and some really common.

Try picking a few kits you like and searching for them then sort them low to high in price. Then watch a few and see what they end up selling for. The common ones can usually be had for under $10 shipping included

• Like 2

Joel's advice is what you should follow. Always search the ones you are the most interested in, and see what they are really going for. Some people charge unrealistic prices, and others don't, which sometimes is the reason for such a big difference in price for collections. At other times, a collection may go for much more because it contains one or two of the harder to get pieces along with the common ones.

• Like 1

the dressers and the queen anne clock where the kits your got for a buck when you joined the monthly mini club. They sell for ~3-5 bucks each on ebay. The hard to find pieces, ( the willard clock, tide water fireplace, queen anne highboy, some of the cradles and the library table come to mind) can sell for far more. For some reason they all seem to be cheaper at miniature shows.

I got most of my "rare" kits by posting wanted ads on Craigslist. The biggest score was two bank boxes of kits for $50!  And in the end she traded me for built girls bedroom set, bathroom and a few other furnishings for her granddaughters dollhouse. I even got a few pieces I had never seen before. I have some kits boxed and sorted for a miniature sale I went to last Saturday. I only sold 2-3 of them at the sale so I think I'll go post some basic kits on the trading post! I don't know why I didn't think of it soomer. 

• Like 2