New new new :)

ladymelissa

Hi there,

Just discovered this forum and was amazed about the great things i found on here! And beautiful things too! I'm planning to start my first dollhouse, probably with a DIY mdf package, don't know which brand yet or scale will be: 1:12 or 1:24....I would like to create some kind of fairytale house, because i love the magic kingdom of fairies and unicorns.

Have always loved dollhouses and porcelain dolls and have quite a collection of porcelain dolls at home...but it was always a dream of mine to do dollhouses. :) So, hope you guys don't mind me lurking around a bit and admiring your beautiful creations and hopefully get some great tips and advice.

Oh yes, i forgot to say i live in Europe, Belgium and will soon be 36 years old :)

Have a great day!

Melissa

Welcome to the little family, Melissa.  Almost all of the Greenleaf house kits can e bashed into lovely fairy houses and establishments; just check out member Deb's albums.  Of course, the kits are made of wood, not MDF (thank goodness; I personally prefer to work with the thin wood).

thx Havanaholly for the welcome...i'm probably mistaken about the mdf and the wood, i thought the light wood was mdf :)

well, i just ordered online the fantasy villa and also another diy little castle from China (that was the cheapest :) ), but it can take upto one month to get to Belgium....now i can't wait to start! I'm already thinking what i will do to make it magical :)

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/New-fancy-intelligent-educational-toy-DIY-3D-classic-model-wooden-puzzle-Children-s-handmade-toys-castle/1061002847.html

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/New-DIY-fancy-intelligent-educational-toy-3D-building-model-wooden-puzzle-Children-Adult-toys-handmade-FANTASY/697444454.html

6 hours ago, ladymelissa said:

thx Havanaholly for the welcome...i'm probably mistaken about the mdf and the wood, i thought the light wood was mdf :)

well, i just ordered online the fantasy villa and also another diy little castle from China (that was the cheapest :) ), but it can take upto one month to get to Belgium....now i can't wait to start! I'm already thinking what i will do to make it magical :)

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/New-fancy-intelligent-educational-toy-DIY-3D-classic-model-wooden-puzzle-Children-s-handmade-toys-castle/1061002847.html

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/New-DIY-fancy-intelligent-educational-toy-3D-building-model-wooden-puzzle-Children-Adult-toys-handmade-FANTASY/697444454.html

I have that Fantasy Villa kit to build one day.  I was thinking of using pine cone leaflets for the shingles, at least on the turret part.

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Those products look like fun. The wood does look thin. Looks like tab and slot puzzle houses. 

My only question is if they are closed on all sides with no access to the interior?

I wondered the same thing, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page (on the links she provided), they show one picture of the back and it is indeed open.

Yes, they are open, otherwise i would not have bought them. They are scale 1:24. I've never made a thing like this, don't know how long it will take me :)

Does anyone who has made the fantasy villa, know, if it would be better to decorate the walls and floor of the ground floor first, and then continue building? Because it doesn't seem easy once it will be finished to start painting the floors/walls or put wallpaper on them....

Whilst I haven't made that one, I have built mostly tab & slot kits, and the very first thing I do is to assemble the kit with masking or painters' tape and let it sit in dry fit until it tells me what it wants and I can see what needs decorating before I glue it together.  I also trim any tabs and slots for a more perfect fit during the dry fit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah!! my houses arrived yesterday! i didn't open the plastic just yet, i have a lot of other projects running, but i didn't realise 1:24 is so small....but still, i'll make something great out of it, i'm sure....how thrilling, my very first diy dollhouses :drool2:

Welcome to the forum!

1:24 is a small scale, but they don't take up as much space, so there's room for more.  So far, I have built in 1:12 scale (except for my medieval castle gate I scratch-built) and if I don't find a buyer for my current house, there won't  be room for another.  Please do create an album and post photos of your houses when you start working on them.