Help with plugs, outlets, covers?

kokomo

Oh my gosh, I'm so confused about the different plugs and outlets and outlet covers! Can someone help me?

I'm building the Magnolia and I want to put some outlets on the walls in a couple of the rooms but I can't figure out which ones. I tried to google a cross-reference between Cir-Kit and Miniature House products but google came up empty-handed.

I have four CK1003 cir-kit outlets and I want to buy plugs and outlet covers but I'm confused between the two brands since each brand sometimes has the same item but under a different product number. I want to get them as cheaply as I can because this can get expen$ive but that means knowing the item numbers.

Can anyone help me figure out which plug and which outlet cover fits the Cir-Kit CK1003 outlet ... both Cir-Kit and Miniature House equivalents?

Thanks a million!

Thanks, Sable!

Do you know if there is a MH equivalent for the outlet cover? Is it MH44001? If so, I can find those a lot cheaper than the CK1003A cover.

Or are there two different covers for 1:12 and 1:24?

This site refers to them as being the same number.  Everything you are looking at is 1/24 but we use them in 1:12 because they are more realistic in size. The 1/12 outlets are bulky and don't offer brass covers, as far as I am aware.  

http://www.superior-dollhouse-miniatures.com/miniature-wiring-supplies/12231-outlet-cover-1pk-ref-mh44001.html

Yes, the CK1003-2 is even smaller than the CK1003. I also don't believe it has a cover. I've used the CK1003 and CK1004 and they look great. You can see them in use, in my picture, here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2016_01/large.IMG_0765.JPG.1b026b5671ff9d658345d685afd6ac42.JPG

I installed them directly into the baseboard, a clear code violation but I won't allow any building inspectors around. I soldered round wire to them but they are intended to be stuck into tape wire.

The plug and outlet are finicky though. The plug really sticks tight in the outlet so if you find yourself plugging and unplugging a lot, you'll end up needing needlenose pliers to pull out the small rod that came out of the plug and got stuck in the outlet. Then you'll have to reassemble the wire in the plug. That is my experience with them but they do look so much better than the standard plug that comes on lamps.

Oh! I didn't realize that the CK1003s that I have are 1:24 and that the brass outlet covers only come in 1:24. That makes things a lot easier. Thanks, Sable!

I've looked at so many websites while trying to figure this all out that I don't remember where I saw the CK1003B. If I find it again later I'll post the link. There's a real possibility that I may have just thought it said CK1003B instead of CK1003-2.  :crazyeyes:

Thank you, Freddie, for posting your pic. You're right, they do look really good. They don't even need the covers. Maybe I'll rethink my plans now.

Okay, I see the difference between CK 1003-2 and CK1003. I wish I would have run across a page somewhere that has pictures of all of these plugs and outlets and covers together. It would've saved me a few hours of scouring the internet, for sure.

Code violation ... hee hee. :)

Oh, no ... so, I'm looking at the CK1004-2 which is the same as the CK1004 only the CK1004-2 has hollow tubes instead of regular pins.

What is the advantage of having hollow tubes?

~scratching my head here~

Well, the only explanation that cirkit gives is that the hollow tubes provide a long-lasting connection. I guess that means the regular pins aren't considered by them to be long-lasting?

Really, this is so confusing to me. lol

Note that I placed my CK1003 into a recessed area of the baseboard that I carved out. When stuck into the wall through tapewire, they will stick out more than what you see on mine. I have ordered some more plugs and brass covers for another house that will be plugged into tape wire. I will take a picture of it setup as soon as they arrive since the rooms are finished, waiting for the outlets and covers.

With the CK1004, you push the stripped wire through a hole in the back of the plug. You then push the pin into the plug which makes lasting contact with the wire via pressure. With the CK1004-2, it would seem you have to glue the wire in once putting it into the hollow tube. The CK1004 is going to have a better connection, fwiw.

With the CK1004, you could also put a drop of super glue in place, before pushing the pins in and end up with the same result at the ck1004-2. This way, you also wouldn't have the pins coming out of the plug when unplugging frequently. 

I suppose it's just a matter of preference then. The 1004 seems to make the most sense since you can glue that one, as well, if you really want to. I wonder what their thinking was to go to all the trouble of manufacturing a new plug for such little difference between the two. ?

Thanks so much, Sable. I think I've got it now.

Thanks very much, Freddie. You've really cleared things up for me. I look forward to seeing the pics of your rooms with the plugs and covers! 

Here is a outlet and cover I just installed in the ongoing renovation. I see no reason that all corded electrics shouldn't be plugged into these little things. Just paint the cover to match the decor if brass doesn't work for you.

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

• Like 2

Oh, I love them! They look fantastic, Freddie! Okay, I'm sold. I'm definitely going to put those outlet covers over my outlets. Thanks so much for posting the pics. It helps to actually see what they look like on a real wall.

I also love your table. And the globe. Did you make that globe, too?

The front edge of your table looks like it's burlwood. Did you do that? Or did it come in the kit that way? I just googled the Realife Miniature kits and it looks like they don't make them anymore. Oh, well......   :)

13 minutes ago, kokomo said:

Oh, I love them! They look fantastic, Freddie! Okay, I'm sold. I'm definitely going to put those outlet covers over my outlets. Thanks so much for posting the pics. It helps to actually see what they look like on a real wall.

I also love your table. And the globe. Did you make that globe, too?

The front edge of your table looks like it's burlwood. Did you do that? Or did it come in the kit that way? I just googled the Realife Miniature kits and it looks like they don't make them anymore. Oh, well......   :)

You can also see another difference between the two plug versions. The 1004, as I have here, you can see the wire enters from the side and then you push the pin in through the back, all the way through. With the 1004-2, the wire would be entering in the back and glued in place, so the 1004-2 would actually look a bit more like a real plug. I think I am going to pick up some 1004-2 and try them out.

I just brushed Minwax put Dark Walnut stain on the table. Any variations in the stain are just happenstance. These kits haven't been made in a long time, but you can still find them on eBay for $10 to $30. If you came up with a table, I could duplicate mine for you, no charge, other than shipping. I stained the table, then gloss coated/sanded a few times. Then sanded one more time and put the black rectangle on. Then put the gold outline around the black rectangle, then gloss/sanded a few more times. My inspiration, were the photos on this page: http://www.burrellsantiquedesks.com/antique-tables/sold-antique-writing-library-tables.htm

The black should really be a piece of leather, but since this was my first go at it, I just painted it.

The globe came from miniatures.com. This is the library room. I took the large book case, also from the same kit, out of the picture since I had put in some support braces to hold the chandelier in place while the glue dried.

My first furniture kit was the Real Life Victorian Parlor set.  I used one of DH's old wide polyester neckties to upholster the sofa and wing chair, and a similar clip-on to do the rocking chair and footstool.  Within the past few years I have run across a few more odd Real Life kits.  I like the Mini Mundus furniture kits, but they are really pricey.

Aren't those old writing desks great? I love them. Those were the days, for sure.

What a kind offer, Freddie. I'm finally to the point of wallpapering my Magnolia (after a year!) and when I'm finished with that and the floors I'm going to try and see how well I do with building some furniture. If I end up a hopeless and lousy carpenter then you'll probably being hearing from me. Thank you!

I got my ck1004s in the mail today. Oh, wow, are they ever small! I mean, I knew they were going to be small but not this small. Good thing I have a decent magnifier because I can barely see the holes in the plugs even with my glasses on. I love a good challenge though so I'm looking forward to wiring the plugs.

Holly, I found a Realife Victorian Parlor set for sale last night while googling around. Very pretty! I'll bet yours turned out nice. I would have never thought to use old ties for upholstery. What a brilliant idea!

• 2 years later...

Help................I am trying to install the extra small CK1003 outlets and i am having trouble having them come alive.  I have the probe and have found the tape wire behind the wallpaper.  Can anyone give me some pointers or direct me to some video.

I want to give it another try tomorrow afternoon.

Bob, chances are the thin film covering the tapewire and/or the wallpaper have been pushed down into the punch hole so that the copper is not touching your Outlet posts.  If you can manage to cut a tiny square with a razor blade thru the paper and peel away some of the film you’ll better expose the copper on the tape wire. Make sure the power is unplugged before using the blade and don’t go too deep because you don’t want to damage the copper tape, too much. I can post a photo if you need it. 

Hi Sable........OH MY  I don't know if my 74 year old eyes are  up to this.   I will try again tomorrow.  How do you cut the wall paper without cutting the tape wire. Can you scrape some of the film off with your finger or what tool.

I think you may be right about the cause of this problem.

I used a dressmaker pin (see below) the other day when I had to do this to the film. 

Another problem might be that your punch hole is too large for the outlet pins.  I don’t know what tool you are using to predrill your hole but the dressmaker pin could also be used as a drill. You can use it to pick away the wallpaper and film.

Good night.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/32351-Business-Source-High-Quality-Nickel-finish-T-Pin-2-Length-x-0-56-Width-100-Box-Silver/22637439?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3668&adid=22222222228016435125&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=52400161871&wl4=pla-83962978871&wl5=1015116&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113728315&wl11=online&wl12=22637439&wl13=&veh=sem