Does anyone choose NOT to wire for electricity?

vbharrington

On January 15, 2016 at 2:41:43 AM, ladymelissa said:

Maybe stupid question: but does their exist battery operated lights in scale 1:24?

I haven't found any 1:24 scale battery operated lights yet, and 1:24 is my preferred scale to work in. What I am experimenting around with are the smallest of the 1:12 scale battery op lights in half scale builds. Some work visually, some don't. Also, small LED battery packs that are used in glitter houses and the tinier scales can work for making your own lights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claireliontamer said:

I'm going to attempt to wire this first house I'm doing but I am put off slightly by the price of everything.  As this is a 'learning skills' house for me, I do want to give it a go but we'll see....

GreenLeaf used to make a wiring kit called "safe 'n easy" the lid is set up so that you can practice on it before you start in the house. The instructions are very clearly written and easy to understand.  It's the kit that I finally learned to do tape wiring  with. Once I got it I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was. 

Check ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-In-Box-Dollhouse-Lighting-Kit-By-Greenleaf-/151956961192 

I saw some battery powered  micro LED sets on EBay. They look great. If only  improperly disposed of batteries weren't so toxic too the environment.

• Like 1

I looked up some tutorials on YouTube because I initially couldn't understand how tape wire even worked, but since I already secured some floors and wallpaper in my house, I realized I'm going to have to add some battery ones. I think I'd only resort to wiring a house if i had 1. a lot of spare money (HA) 2. some fixtures I was in love with that weren't LED and 3. a house that was pretty large. 

heres that video if anyone was interested, she makes it look really easy! 

• Like 1

I watched the tutorial Ashlie posted because I thought they were going to install a working doorbell in it. It turned out to be another video, but I did order the doorbell from L&Kn Canada. My way of taping a house is easier but now i know a better way to get electric into the door side of a front opening house by using round wire  to connect the tape at the hinges. I hope the door bell isn't to loud.

39 minutes ago, le.doll.house said:

I'm a newbie... question, what are glitter houses?

The little putz houses made of cardboard/ chipboard, painted and sprinkled with glitter that used to under Christmas trees (predated the ceramic village sets).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2016, 1:50:24, PJSizemore said:

Can anyone tell me if it is okay to wire houses with regular and LED lights together in series?

Generally, dollhouses are wired at 12v. LED lights operate at 3v. You will need to step the voltage down to 3V or wire them separately and have two power supplies.

Not all LED's operate at 3v..........There are a variety of LED and LED strips that run on 12V.

It is perfectly fine to mix the lights Pamela and I do on every house that I build........Just be aware that unlike regular lighting LED is polarity dependent. (if you wire the + to the - it won't work).........The one other thing to bear in mind though is the difference in colour........LED's are a cold light whereas regular lights are warm! Don't believe the garbage that describes some LED's as......... 'NEW LED's WITH WARM LIGHT'..........they are not......they are green!

On 11 February 2016 at 21:50:24, PJSizemore said:

Can anyone tell me if it is okay to wire houses with regular and LED lights together in series?

You can wire them in series but the LED's need to be the same polarity!