How do you keep your real house clean and clutter-free?

Luanne

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎18‎:‎07‎, Gee said:

how I keep my real house clean and clutterfree? well, let's see.... I don't :s

LOL!!!!!!   thought the same thing.   I stay in my craft area so I don't see anything in the rest of the house.  LOL   I stole the "extra" bedroom and turned it into my craft/junky room.  My living room is full of dollhouses

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time on it sometimes.  I live with a neater than neat freak but at the same time he has a bizillion books all over the place.....it ain't easy...Plus we have pounds of dog hair, dirt and sand and dust ( ( live in a desert) so its a battle!   Some days I just close my eyes and pretend I don't see any of it!  A-chew!

:sofa:   

• 4 months later...

We just laid hardwood floors in our living room and hallway. Seemed i was sweeping every day. Now its just a huge microfiber drymop and is very quick. Hoping to do the dining room before christmas. Our room I decluttered a week ago, just need to steam clean carpet now. Basement is a total disaster area. I havent had time to get down there much, and noone wants to help. Im getting upset, frustrated and downright DONE ! I'm  either going to stop doing everything or I'm going to get rid of all thier stuff too. Im tired of asking for help. Tired of asking the boys to take thier stuff to their areas. I want my room back so I can enjoy my houses. 

• Like 1

My room is very small with wall-to-wall furniture. In fact, the furniture is "layered" along the wall (bookcases against wall, bed against bookcases, another bookcase against the bed).

In my little bitty kitchen, I have everything hanging out, so when it comes time to put dishes away, everything has its spot. In the bedroom, out of sight is out of mind. When I broke down the big house, the large pieces went behind the dresser. Other kits are under the sofa. But everything has a place. It has to. All the knickknacks I have are in front of the books. All the miniatures are piled up in the cabinet I got about 6 months ago. Right now the only floor space I have left is about 6' x 2', so you can imagine when the dollhouse kit box is on the floor, it's noticeable. I also trip on anything left on the floor when I get up (day or night), so I have to keep things picked up.

Notice I said picked up, not necessarily cleaned up. I dust occasionally. My little model horses look like they're standing in snow and sometimes I move them across the dust so it looks like hoof prints in the snow. But to be fair, with the wind going through here all summer, the dust gets to those proportions in about 3 days. I'd also have to move furniture out into the hallway in order to get behind it and clean which is getting harder and harder with my back the way it is, so I only do a deep cleaning once a year and ignore it the rest of the time.

On 7/10/2016, 10:01:39, L Swearengin said:

If you come to see me.....come on in.  If you come to see my house.... make an appointment 

Absolutely! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LPCullen said:

Ummm... it's possible to keep your house clean and clutter free?

I suppose, but what is the fun in that???

• Like 1

"Clean and clutter Free"  Is there such a thing?  When I "de-clutter" I end up just shuffling stuff around because if I actually throw it out, I'll need it.  Case in point....... I threw out a bunch of embroidery floss that I had been keeping for 20 years.  3 months later I decided to do some cross stitch and had to go buy new floss.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎08‎:‎14‎, claireliontamer said:

Flylady.net transformed my life.  I actually mean that too, she advocates doing a little bit each day and she has daily tasks which don't take long at all but really do make a difference.

The other thing is to tidy up after you've done something.  I try to each evening when I've finished put things away, and I've got my daughter in the habit of doing the same thing with her toys.  I find it's easier to keep something tidy than have to re-tidy all the time.

Decluttering and storage is important too but I find this difficult as I love charity shops with bargains!  I do have to think before I buy something 'will I use it?' and 'do I have somewhere to store it?'.

Some words hit home to me a while back, going farther than just being thankful for what one has, '' You might get what your hoping for in the future, but in the meantime take good care of what you do have, right down to cleaning and organizing the sock drawer.'' This is exactly what I have been doing except that once I start I want to keep going until every space is cleaned, organized, decluttered and / or freshly painted. Ok so I tend to go overboard on everything I become passionate about so I have been doing this for a few months now. All because we had hoped to move to the country someday and so decided to start getting this place ready just incase the right house ever came along. Plus I really do want to live in a space that looks likes its ready to be shown to buyers, I like what I am accomplishing so much, I may not want to leave.