This is the first house I started building

kathi17

ExteriorFront01a.jpg

This is a photo from the site of the man who did the pictures for the book. His site is here http://www.usol.com/~rmcmeeking/KruszDollhouse/Krusz

I've been trying to find my book for years, but have no idea what happened to it. Today, on Pinterest, I found pictures of it and went to the website.

I started building it in the 1970's, and had three rooms done, furnished, and electrified, then the cats creamed it. The house was stick built, and chipboard was used for the walls. I didn't decorate my house like hers inside, mine was decorated like most of the houses in the neighborhood of the common in Sturbridge Mass, where I was born and raised. Most had wainscotting and wallpaper, or paneled rooms, like what you see at Old Sturbridge Village.

If I can ever find my book, I'm going to try to redo my creamed house, and finish it. It really is a beauty!

• Like 3

Wendy, Dori stick-built her house room by room.  I bet the original house she was copying didn't have a discrete bathroom; the tub would be pulled out into the middle of the kitchen floor and water heated on the stove; there would be wash stands and chamber pots in the bedrooms and the "Necessary" would be out in the yard probably at the foot of the garden.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I gave my copy to someone here who was going to use it to build a house.

Thanks Holly, I appreciate the thought. :-) I kept trying to remember the name of the book so I could look it up on the internet, but no dice.  Today, when I found that website, I finally had the name again, so I googled it, and there are a few copies of it floating around, so I'll probably try sending for it.

2 hours ago, parisbabe said:

I noticed the pics didnt even show one bathroom, For me, thats the one room i enjoy the most to decorate.

Like Holly said, I think the house was built before indoor plumbing. The house was supposed to be Georgian in design, which was before plumbing, but since I also like doing bathrooms, I probably would add one. There are plenty of rooms in that house!

• Like 1

When DH's grandparents got indoor plumbing they closed in the part of the back porch that was off of their bedroom.

One of my favorite parts of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' Cross Creek was when she wrote that she set up her dining room table so that her seat faced out towards the garden, because that where the privy was and she didn't want any of her dinner guests having to face that during their meal.  When she finally got indoor plumbing in her house she used the commode stool to hold the bottles of bootleg champagne at the house-warming party she held for her new bathroom!

• Like 1

I'd add the bathroom where the maid's room is in that house, and eliminate the ladder to the kitchen.

My mother has indoor plumbing, but the outhouse is still out in the woods, in fairly good shape. We keep it repaired for old times sake.