My Laurel - nearly done and a question

amandaj

Hi, I've managed to start an album and will show some progress pics as soon as possible.

Before I do that though, could someone help me with a question? Would the doors from an Orchid fit in the Laurel? I created a wall and door space, and would like to add a door that matches the other quite plain doors internally for the Laurel. I have an Orchid kit and could use a door and trim from this kit, then upgrade the doors in the Orchid if it would work. What do you all think?

Crisis averted. I made a door from balsa wood, and a frame as well. Basswood is quite difficult to come by in my part of the world and I am impatient!

I did open the Orchid briefly and couldn't see a door in there that seemed like it would fit, so closed it up again. Talk about restraint!!

• Like 1

Linda beat me to it!  Amanda, if you trace your door opening onto a piece of paper and invest in some 1/8" thick x1/4" wide strip wood you can make a box that will fit flush against the interior of your doorway.  Then you can make your door to fit that, using strip wood and scrap wood to detail the door,  Then I finished the door and frame (paint, or stain, if you prefer)  I have a small bench vise, and when I had set the door carcase into the box frame I put the assemblage into the vise and hammered straight pins into the top and bottom of one edge for about 1" and cut off the excess with my wire cutters.  Then I glued the box frame into the door opening and glued the door frame trim around the door opening.  I added knobs and have working, pin-hinged doors.

• Like 2

Pin hinged doors are definitely in my future - this build I glued them in, shut. Possibly will regret this as my husband and son both said, "Cool. Do the doors open?" Since I don't have too many visitors I hope I won't have to say no too many times.

I have added some pics to my gallery - and have moved a long way beyond these pics now. WOW THEY ARE BIG! SORRY!

large.IMG_0243.JPG.2a1a5a08aafc547ededa6large.IMG_0239.JPG.5c6b070555a5dbfc7e987large.IMG_0237.JPG.a064e6b79cd12d724b637large.IMG_0236.JPG.a5f5af9ce91967ec532cf

• Like 1

• 1 year later...