winter storm

havanaholly

33 minutes ago, me-barbie said:

The stands at the Canadian Figure Skating Championships in Halifax are quite empty. We aren't sure if it's because of the impending snowstorm...or the high price of tickets

Bummer. I'm sure the skaters draw support from the applause and cheers of an audience. 

Extremely windy and cold here yesterday (40 F). Partly cloudy and still cold today, with hard freeze warnings for tonight in New Orleans and surrounding parishes. The question here is: pull all of the plants inside for the night or protect them with cloth covers.  I'm voting for the latter, but Lloyd has named nearly all of the plants and is pushing for bringing them inside. 

Not so windy here today, but much colder than yesterday and supposed get a hard freeze tonight.  The son in the metro DC area sent a picture of the snow banked against their storm door this AM.

Storms like that hit harder in the East. Here in the Prairies, we have the equipment to deal with that kind of snow, and most of us know how to cope (ie stay the heck off the roads). I've been through a few blizzards in my time. As kids, Mom used to zip us up in our snowsuits, and threw us out in the backyard to play, :ohyeah:

I still remember the year I went home to visit my parents in South Dakota and brought my dog with me. We got hit with a ton of snow and I had to go out and shovel. Not the driveway, mind you, but the yard! They had a 4 ft chain link fence that went around their yard and I had to go out and shovel a path all along the inside of it so my dog couldn't walk over the fence. Yes, the snow drifted that high. 

Although now I think about it, this was the dog who was trained to jump 12 1/2 feet when he was in a Doberman Drill Team, so I don't know why I thought a 2 ft gap would give him pause.

My friend in Maine told me one year the snow got as high as their second story windows. She loved it. The kids spent the entire day jumping out the windows and sliding down the drifts. She said it was the best snow day off from school she'd ever spent.

• Like 2

last year the Maritimes got so much snow, they were shovelling it into the Atlantic. My friend sent me a photo her friend sent her of his backyard. He had a bird feeder on a 7 ft pole. 

A squirrel had made a burrow and was living under the birdfeeder and chowing down. There was 7 ft of snow in the backyard.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, me-barbie said:

last year the Maritimes got so much snow, they were shovelling it into the Atlantic. My friend sent me a photo her friend sent her of his backyard. He had a bird feeder on a 7 ft pole. 

A squirrel had made a burrow and was living under the birdfeeder and chowing down. There was 7 ft of snow in the backyard.

No wonder so many of our nice snow birds are from Canada!

We could use snow here in Manitoba. We have very little snow cover, and that means a dry spring. I know, sounds weird doesn't it. My mother is snowbirding in Cuba, and poor thing it's rained almost every day she has been down there. The photos I have seen from New York are quite something! And it will be that heavy wet snow. That's the worst kind of snow.

Whew!  What a boatload of snow!  LOL  Apparently this part of PA just set a new record of the most snowfall in a single-day storm!  Harrisburg official number is 30 inches!  Don't think we got quite that much- at least 24"!!  Hubby spend most of today digging out, with the help of two neighbors with snowblowers.  Crazy!  I did venture out this morning before all of the digging commenced to get some pics....that was a workout!  LOL  I wore my hubby's fishing hip-wader boots! :D   Spent the rest of the day working on the porch of the farmhouse rehab.

My middle son lives in the Metro DC part of VA.  The picture he sent standing inside his storm door showed the snow blocking the lower 20+% of the door; he couldn't get it open from inside the house.  His next door neighbor helped him clear it.

Before the snow storm my family was discussing the different swing of doors in different parts of the country. In south Florida our front door opens outward so that a hurricane's wind can't blow the door in. We discussed that up north the doors open inward so snow can't block you in, unless of course you have a storm door.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Before the snow storm my family was discussing the different swing of doors in different parts of the country. In south Florida our front door opens outward so that a hurricane's wind can't blow the door in. We discussed that up north the doors open inward so snow can block you in, unless of course you have a storm door.  

That's interesting.  In the UK most doors open inwards too.

18 hours ago, Sable said:

Before the snow storm my family was discussing the different swing of doors in different parts of the country. In south Florida our front door opens outward so that a hurricane's wind can't blow the door in. We discussed that up north the doors open inward so snow can't block you in, unless of course you have a storm door.  

Pretty much all of us have screen/storm doors. The interior door opens inwards, the screen door opens outwards. I've been blocked in. So the best thing is to shovel the door free throughout the storm (major PITA though)

Last year we had so much snow in NH that people were making sure the roofs and decks were shoveled so they would not collapse. We also have a screen door to the deck that opens out. My husband had to slowly work the window that cranks out from another room facing the deck until he could squeeze out with a shovel and clear the deck.

20150207_095753_crop.jpg

Here in the NW we're having pretty good weather. Lots of snow in the mountains, for the ski lodges to do a thriving business, and to feed our water table next summer, but not much snow in the lowlands. LOTS of rain - but that's not too hard to shovel!  Snow sort of cripples the Seattle area, because of the ice everywhere.