Starting on a Beacon Hill… help!

Whit

Hello from Kansas City. I'm building a dollhouse for my anxious 6 and 9 year old daughters and I'm not entirely sure what I've gotten myself into.:eek: I just opened the box on a brand new Beacon Hill and scanned the assembly instructions. Holy cow! I certainly would love some advice/counsel as I get started. This seems like a great community. I clearly need all the help that I can get… even as I stare at Step 1.

Initial question - How best to prepare the flooring? Do I need to add flooring to each room later? or can i just sand/stain the floors right from the box? 

Thanks, in advance, for your help. I'm certainly going to need it.

Welcome to the little family.  Stop and breathe.  Click on "Blogs" and read some of Beacon Hill builds that members have done.  Someone will come along soon and post you a link to Gina's blog, too.

Getting started I first take the clear acetate sheet and put it between the pages of the Warm Up sheet to protect it.  I read through the instructions.  Next I look over the schematics sheet and read the instructions again while finding the various parts on the schematics sheet.  Then I lay those sheets on top of the Warm Up sheet and get my Sharpie  or  soft pencil and go through the plywood sheets in the box marking each one's number to darken it for easy finding, and stack them into numerical order n the box.  Then I lay the paperwork on top and close the box and go eat a piece of dark chocolate or drink a nice stiff drink.

Next I  get my masking or painters' tape and dry fit the shell.  Usually by now the kit has begun to speak to me and tell me its story and how it wants to look.  Any floors it wants wood get stained; before I discovered iron-on wood veneer edging I first scribed floorboards directly into the wood of the kit and then stained them; but even now that I lay flooring on top I still stain the kit floors so that any miniscule gaps won't show up.

Don't be afraid to ask questions; the only stupid question is the one not asked.

• Like 2

Hi, Whit, and welcome to the forum. Lots of folks here have built the Beacon Hill and lived to tell about it.

Keep in mind the mantra of our Administrator, Tracy (Minis on the Edge), which is "It's hard by the yard but a cinch by the inch".  

Follow Holly's initial plan to get oriented to the kit contents, plan to do a lot of dry fitting as you go, and read through Gina's blog (moreminis.com), in which she shares her Beacon Hill build step by step. Her photos are invaluable, especially when the printed instructions are a bit confusing. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Whit said:

Hello from Kansas City. I'm building a dollhouse for my anxious 6 and 9 year old daughters and I'm not entirely sure what I've gotten myself into.:eek: I just opened the box on a brand new Beacon Hill and scanned the assembly instructions. Holy cow! I certainly would love some advice/counsel as I get started. This seems like a great community. I clearly need all the help that I can get… even as I stare at Step 1.

Initial question - How best to prepare the flooring? Do I need to add flooring to each room later? or can i just sand/stain the floors right from the box? 

Thanks, in advance, for your help. I'm certainly going to need it.

Hehe, been there done that.  I am still working on my Beacon Hill, my first build.  When I opened the box, I think I sat there for a good 20 minutes with my mouth hanging open.  I am finishing the exterior "gingerbread" trim and I am still asking questions.  This forum is fantastic, the experienced builders have infinite patience and love helping us newbies.  Gina has step by step tutorials on many builds, including the BH, check it out http://moreminis.blogspot.com/.  Good luck and welcome.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! Yeah follow everyone's advice here, and just take it one step at a time. With each step, it will come together more.

I agree about following Gina's blog, she will tell you about things that might need to be decorated before the house is finished, as well as giving you tips to make your build easier.

Have fun with it, you are building a truly beautiful house!

• Like 1

One thing about Gina's blog (which is amazing) is that she has actually built the Beacon Hill twice, and I found the instructions more helpful for her second Beacon Hill build.  Either way, read both of them.  Let me tell you this out from the get go.....I have a Beacon Hill in a box waiting, but right now I am starting the vintage travel trailer.  DO NOT skip the dry fit.  Right now I have an evening of sanding and rebuilding ahead of me for the travel trailer, I can't imagine the frustration of having to do that to something as big as the BH.  These forums are great, and everyone is helpful and friendly, good luck!

• Like 1

Welcome Whit.

I'm Rosie a newbie too... I'm starting small with the Orchid but know exactly how you feel. I brought my kit over a decade ago, opened the box... closed ot back up and stored it away... I'm now feeling a little braver but moving VERY, VERY slow lol. I still have to set up my workshop (dinning room table) lol

• Like 1

Done the BH, Travel Trailer, two Orchids among about a gazillion other houses.  As said before, read take your time and make sure the glass of wine is full.  I was tempted on more than one occasion to toss mine into the yard.  Take a break, and then start again. when it's done you will stand back and just be amazed at what you have done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum, Whit! Take your time and you'll be fine! Every house is built one step at a time - and whenever you have a question: just ask! We're all here to help.

Welcome to GLF!

The becon hill seems daunting,  and your daughters are going ti have a wait but here us what i would do...

Open the box and take out the instructions and read them start to finish a few times. don't worry if you understand them completly .

wait till you are relaxed and preferably when your kids are not there. Sit at a table and take the sheets out one by one and look at them while you look over the drawings in each step.  Reoack the sgeets un the order you removed them.

Its best if you have a work area but if you don't get some large pieces of cardboard to work on. You'll need a few. Get your other supplies, sandpaper, glue a square pencils to start. Primer and paint brushes if you plan to paint and prime as you go.

Start you house. Follow the instructions exactly, don't remove any parts from the sheets until you need them and take your time. 

Use the builds in the gallery as reference.

Come ask question as they come up. There are people here from all over the world so someone will answer them

I wait to install the windows and doors until last, simply because I cannot get my hands to manipulate a paintbrush to paint the window trims without splopping paint (or stain, if that's what you use) on the clear acetat inserts, wallpaper, whatever.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, shereedavis6185 said:

What are your thoughts on using chip board to cut the piece I am missing?

As Holly says, once painted, no one will know if it is wood or chip board.  Don't let something this minor slow your progress. :)